Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compiz and tabs?

Beans

Compiz and tabs?

I left Ubuntu for Xubuntu because there no longer are any tabs for navigation between documents/applications. Using some keyboard combination to jump between documents/applications simply is a big step backwards in my opinion as overview now is completely missing and navigation now is less straight forward.

I did however recently come across someone who claimed that tabs might be achieved through Compiz somehow. It was never explained how, so I'm a bit lost at the moment. How can I do that? I can't find anything in CompizConfig Settings Manager... I would love to be able to implement tabs in Ubuntu. How can I achieve this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Compiz and tabs?

Do you mean the kind of tabs used in a file manager or web browser, or do you mean the keyboard-based Alt+Tab application switching (which should be enabled by default in almost any distro)?

There's another kind of "tabbing" provided by Compiz, but it's unrelated, more to do with "grouping" windows.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Do you mean the kind of tabs used in a file manager or web browser, or do you mean the keyboard-based Alt+Tab application switching (which should be enabled by default in almost any distro)?

There's another kind of "tabbing" provided by Compiz, but it's unrelated, more to do with "grouping" windows.
    I mean the old fashioned kind of tabs (that now has appeared in web browsers), not the keyboard based switching/tabbing.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Do you mean the task bar The bar at the bottom that lists open windows?

If so, you can revert to that style of task switching by logging out and selecting the "Ubuntu Classic" interface at the bottom after selecting your user account and before entering your password.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Do you mean the task bar The bar at the bottom that lists open windows?

If so, you can revert to that style of task switching by logging out and selecting the "Ubuntu Classic" interface at the bottom after selecting your user account and before entering your password.
    Yes, that is what I mean. I am however under the impression that the Ubuntu classic option will disappear at some point in the future, and if that is the case then I can as well move to a different distro straight away, rather than just putting off the inevitable.

But can this "tab effect"/task bar be achieved with Compiz, or was the person who told me this misinformed?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Yes, I think there might have been a confusion of terms. There's nothing like Classic mode's task bar available in Compiz; it's Compiz that actually draws the Unity interface. However, the task bar panel will remain an option for the foreseeable future, as it's available (to install) in an upgraded form in Gnome 3, which ships with the next version of Ubuntu.

Beans

Is there a taskbar that works under Unity that I can install? I have been searching but not found anything...

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by woodyg View Post
    Is there a taskbar that works under Unity that I can install?
    Well, at least in Natty 11.04* you can run Gnome Panel concurrently to Unity. Therefore just add "gnome-panel" to your "Startup Applications". Then just remove its upper panel.

Hopefully, it will be displayed above the top panel of Unity, or if it's below, you are able to find a pixel of it, so that you can use its right-click menu to remove it. Otherwise, you would need to use "gconf-editor" for that (path: "/apps/panel").

*It seems like it's possible in Oneiric 11.10, too; with the Gnome Fallback Session installed.

Greetings.
    Last edited by Krytarik; September 24th, 2011 at 03:53 PM.

Beans

Great! I just moved the top gnome-panel (which otherwise cover any close/minimise window button) down to the bottom and deleted the left one, and I have my tabs displayed just like it should be. I think I may actually move back to Ubuntu when 11.10 is out. Thanks a million!

Beans

Well, that didn't last long. Have been trying out 11.10, and it seems the gnome-panel isn't compatible with Ubuntu 11.10. Looks like it will be XFCE for the foreseeable future for me...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast