Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: So I made a new "programmer font."

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: So I made a new "programmer font."

Any chance you can upload a font file that Windows can read?
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    Nice job on the V, D and tilts. I'm still not a 100 percent sold on the A and Q, they seem a little too rugged, but that's your prerogative.

Since you're going for a full set of characters, maybe you should include š, č, ć, đ and ž. Those are used in a bunch of Slavic languages, and you just need to add hyphens on s, c, d and z.
    I did, in fact, make the A and the Q softer, but the tilt is still there. I feel like it makes them more recognisable... I'll keep looking at them, but I'm quite statisfied with them at present.

I think your right. Adding the Eastern european characters has to be next, along with the Euro sign.

I can't do Cyrillic though, as I can't read it, so I can't really be the judge of whether a character looks right.

[edit]
    check out these titls. They do anything for you?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ninjaaron; September 20th, 2011 at 10:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by Spice Weasel View Post
    I can't read it without my eyes hurting.
    That was my thought, too. When I code and I'm staring at text and really concentrating for a long period of time, I need a font that is really easy on the eyes. This one is pretty harsh on my eyes.

But that's just my opinion. I'm sure there are many people who would like it.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by ninjaaron View Post
    Eh... I'm flattered at the offer, but two things.

1. I need to figure out the licence first, whether a GNU or a CC licences is more appropriate for a font.

2. I don't have any experince with being anywhere except on the reciving end of software distribution. I would be happy to do any of the things you suggested, but I haven't the slightest idea where to begin. Any suggestions for a starting point?

(I'm attracted to github, cause it seems like a universal sort of medium, and then anyone who likes can make a package based on that for any distro)
    1. Generally speaking, if there is a source file required* to make the final product, then use GPL and make that file available. Otherwise, CC.

*I don't know enough about font creation to know if this is the case or not.

2. Popular hosting options are: GitHub, SourceForge.net, and GNOME-Look.org. For something like this, you probably want something simple like GnomeLook. I don't know how complex GitHub is. SourceForge is actually rather involved, and probably not well suited for a font.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by aaaantoine View Post
    1. Generally speaking, if there is a source file required* to make the final product, then use GPL and make that file available. Otherwise, CC.

*I don't know enough about font creation to know if this is the case or not.

2. Popular hosting options are: GitHub, SourceForge.net, and GNOME-Look.org. For something like this, you probably want something simple like GnomeLook. I don't know how complex GitHub is. SourceForge is actually rather involved, and probably not well suited for a font.
    BDF, which I'm using at the moment, is a non-compiled format. You can read it in a text editor, though the glyphs themselves are represented by numbers that I don't fully understand, but the names and all the info about each glyph is there in plain text. They can also be compiled into PCF binary format, but there are free decompression tools to turn it back into BDF. It's not like C or something, where I could compile it and nobody could ever get to the source.

Fonts are more like books or paintings. What you see is what you get. If a computer can render it, then it can open it in an editor, unless there is some kind of DRM or something, but I've never heard of that for a font, yet.

I was thinking CC might be more appropriate because it is more like art. I'll have to do some reading and maybe start a thread about it.

I'll look into gnome-look and github. I'm pretty sure git-hub has more sophisticated version control, which is attractive for something that people what to package. I watched Linus give a talk about it on Youtube. I had no idea what he was on about most of the time, but I guess some of it got into my head somehow.
    Last edited by ninjaaron; September 20th, 2011 at 10:46 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

check out these titls. They do anything for you?
    Nice. That's an 8,5 now. I'll probably have more feedback for you when I start using these for a longer period of time, but I'm pretty committed to MonteCarlo at the moment. The only thing I do notice is, even though the P is much better than in the original, it leaves a little too much space behind. But that's pure nit-picking, awesome job all in all.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by el_koraco View Post
    The only thing I do notice is, even though the P is much better than in the original, it leaves a little too much space behind. But that's pure nit-picking, awesome job all in all.
    Thanks. I think the thing with the "P" may be an optical illusion. It's 4px wide, the same as most of the other letters. It probably has to do with the fact that it has nothing on the bottom-right, and you usually have kerning to sort of nestle the smaller letters in there. I could try to move the whole glyph one pixel to the right. This would create extra space on the left, obviously, but as it is a capitol letter, it will generally follow a space anyway. The only time it should be noticable is in a context with all caps (which does happen pretty often in the console).

I'm playing with a solution right now that moves the P over one pixel, and offsets the loss by adding a serif to it's left side. I can't decide of the serif is cool or silly. I'm leaning towards cool at the moment, but I'm not sure if it actually fixes the gap created by moving the whole character to the right. Perhaps I'll post a shot tomorrow.

And I won't be mad or something stupid if you stick with Monte Carlo. Your nit-picking is helping to make a better font for me and anyone else who might choose to use it later. So far, your're the only one offering any constructive criticism, which was the whole point of this thread. I wish more people were nit-picking!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by whiskeylover View Post
    Any chance you can upload a font file that Windows can read?
    I'm not sure what windows uses for bitmap fonts. Can it read PCF? I can post that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

1. I need to figure out the licence first, whether a GNU or a CC licences is more appropriate for a font.
    How about a license specifically made for fonts? http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/p...id=nrsi&id=OFL

(NOTE: The FSF considers it to be an open source license.)

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast