Thread: Created file - but cannot find with locate command?

Beans

Created file - but cannot find with locate command?

I have created a file on the ubuntu desktop. However, at the command line, if I enter the following....

locate testfile.txt OR

locate testfile

it doesn't provide the expected result (i.e. the location of the file) whereas if I try this with another file, it shows the file location.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Created file - but cannot find with locate command?

You need to run the command updatedb as root before you can find a recently created file using locate
    Last edited by ubiquitin.jf; September 18th, 2011 at 12:54 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

locate uses a database to read the filenames. The database is updated daily by a cron job. As ubiquitin.jf pointed it out, you can manually update the database with sudo updatedb.

Beans

@ubiquitin.jf & sisco311: Thanks for your replies. I carried out a manual update as suggested. However, I still can't pull up this file. Is there any other reason why this would happen?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by borderfox View Post
    @ubiquitin.jf & sisco311: Thanks for your replies. I carried out a manual update as suggested. However, I still can't pull up this file. Is there any other reason why this would happen?
    Yes. By default, updatedb only scans and indexes files on the root partition. Any filesystems mounted in /mount, as well as any files stored in /proc, /dev, /sys, /tmp or /var/spool, will not be scanned and subsequently won't be added to the database.
    http://xkcd.com/293/
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world: Those who understand ternary, those who don't, and those who confuse it with binary.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by WorMzy View Post
    Yes. By default, updatedb only scans and indexes files on the root partition. Any filesystems mounted in /mount, as well as any files stored in /proc, /dev, /sys, /tmp or /var/spool, will not be scanned and subsequently won't be added to the database.
    Excelllent - thanks for your help.

Beans
    Hidden!

You could use find to search for files. http://mywiki.wooledge.org/UsingFind

Or create a local database:
    Code:
    updatedb -l 0 -o ./my-db -U /path/to/dir
    locate -d ./my-db PATTERN