i followed the instructions on the lubuntu wiki for installing lubuntu on top of ubuntu. after doing so, the following errors occurred in unity:
more information regarding this problem:
1. selecting anything but lubuntu in the session menu on the login screen always gives the following message:
"xsession: unsupported number of arguments (2) falling back to default session.
2. regardless if you pick unity, unity 2d, or ubuntu classic from the session menu on the login screen, the above message appears (clicking "okay" makes it dissapear - but unity ALWAYS starts, even if you picked ubuntu classic.
3. in unity, the mouse left button does not work.
4. in unity, the unity menu bar does not autohide and is always on top.
5. in unity, when starting synaptic, the following message appears:
"a malicious client may be eavesdropping on your session or you may have just clicked a menu or some application just decided to get focus. try again.
the system usually freezes at this point.
6. when attempting to correct the menu autohide problem in config settings manager, clicking the plugins option displays a message that plugins are in conflict and asks if you want to correct.
i have always clicked "no" - and would like clarification if i should resolve those plugin issues by clicking "yes."
it appears that gnome (unity) is conflicting with lxde (lubuntu) - although i dont know why this happening because selecting either session from the login screen should only start the appropriate desktop mgr.
i installed lubuntu from the synaptic in unity because there are some times when i want to run things in lowest memory possible because i have an old computer. (512mb compaq i386). I really was hoping that i could choose between unity (or more preferably gnome classic) or lubuntu from the login screen. also searches on the forums indicate many people would like to install lubuntu on top of ubuntu to try lubuntu out before making the switch permanently.