Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Four Tiny Screens On One Laptop Monitor

Beans

Re: Four Tiny Screens On One Laptop Monitor

Quote Originally Posted by Tigrisan View Post
    Then while I was still holding down CTRL Alt, I accidently hit the F1 key and it wigged out
    That was actually going to be my next suggestion, lol. Ctrl+Alt+F(1-6) (I think F1 through F6? I usually use F2 for some reason) bring you to a different run level, and get you away from the GUI Desktop. Was kindof curious to know if you would just get, basically, a big terminal screen, or if you would have seen 4 little terminal screens, lol. Along with every other CLI command, you can then use:

Code:
    sudo service gdm restart
    To try to restart just the desktop, or

Code:
    sudo reboot now
    To restart the entire machine. Handy trick to keep around =o)
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Glad your back up ! I'm curious as to what caused it though . Welcome to the forums BTW .
    “Start where you are. Use what you have. Do what you can".

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I'm curious as to what caused it though .
    As am I. Googling around, I found a claim or two where, if a Compiz effect is active when the computer suspends (such as Expo), it won't ask for a password when it wakes. Here, almost sounds like the computer was in Expo mode as it suspended, and waking up it thought Expo was the desktop. I wonder if this is repeatable?
    Any advice given is the direct result of my experience solving my problems on my system. I have no idea what I'm talking about. ~bouge

Beans

Thank you for the welcome

I have to be honest, I don't think I want to repeat it! LOL

But I did print your command suggestions and will keep them nearby until i really get the hang of all of this. I've been using it for oh...6 months on and off, but this is the first time I've run into a problem of this kind.

The DH was watching the Lemans race on Firefox prior to closing the lid, but he'd clicked out of FF by then. He had the option watching the live race though to watch up to four different races at the same time, but chose not to. I can't imagine that affecting Ubuntu, but what do I know? Right now, I feel like I don't know much of anything.

Anyway, the laptop is set to sleep when the lid is closed so the only thing I need to do is sign in. When I opened the lid, I got four sign in screens. Oddly enough, when I did a hard restart, the computer booted to the boot screen in one large screen. The minute I chose Ubuntu, it went to the four screens through the boot process. I rather thought if the screen was deliberately set up for four or however many, that the boot screen would at least be just the one screen, but it wasn't.

Thanks so much again. That printing was just too tiny to live with

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12