Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DV6 laptop issue

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: DV6 laptop issue

I've tried shutting down every way I know, including the terminal. It freezes at the aubergine screen.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I have now successfully downloaded and installed the ATI driver. Still same shutdown problem, though!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 16.10 Yakkety Yak

Re: HP DV-6 3043-tx

Quote Originally Posted by monarch12 View Post
    Hi,
    I bought a HP DV6 3043TX an year ago. I very recently installed ubuntu 10.10 32 bit on it. So I'm a newbie at this stuff. In windows, there is a functionality called the Switchable graphics using which I could switch between HD 5650 and Intel HD. After I installed ubuntu, additional drivers for ATI were asked for, which I clicked activate in the additional drivers menu. The computer wouldnt boot at all into the gnome-desktop at all after that. So I removed the X11 configuration files and restarted it and it worked well.

Now when I try to the Visual effects in the appearance menu to Normal or high, it is reverting to none. I've installed Compiz hoping that it would help, but it didnt. What should I do to get these right and fixed?Can you please help me out in these two regards?

Thanks
    There is a number of DV 6 threads in Hardware and Laptops, so I took the liberty of moving your post.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I'm now away from home for a week, but think the best next step would be to do a verbose shutdown so I can see where it gets stuck (I'll post back here).
    Have totally forgotten how to do a verbose shutdown without the graphics etc. - can anyone tell me please?

Thanks,

A

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Hello,
    Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how I might start to diagnose and fix this problem, please?
    Thanks!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12