Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Russia asked to invest in ReactOS

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Russia asked to invest in ReactOS

Actually, the Russian government has expressed interest in this kind of thing before, so it wouldn't surprise me if they went ahead and did it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Once it is mostly complete
    It will never be complete. A new version of Windows would come out and ReactOS would need major work to support the programs being written for the new Windows.

Remember, ten years from now Windows 8 will be regarded as a "legacy" operating system and people will be trying to migrate away from it.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

ReactOS hasn't made any progress the past 10 years.

It is very unstable and doesn't have much drivers.

It'll be much easier to just invest some cash into wine and bring it to a state where you could run all the windows programs flawlessly.
    Linux into the classroom NOW!
    http://www.taiwan-taipei.com

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by davidvandoren View Post
    It is very unstable and doesn't have much drivers.
    The developers have said, and will always say:

"Windows is so big in size due to all of its drivers and cabinents that have compatibility fixes and whatnot for hardware you add. ReactOS will not have drivers pre-installed for you, but will have basic drivers to allow for network activity, VGA and keyboard/mouse input."

You can always get the drivers from the Internet. That's what I always did, and have been doing since I started Windows back in the late 90s. Before then, it was MacOS 7-9, still used floppy disks to carry drivers for my SyQuest drive, which had more drivers and programs to install.

They have had leaps and bounds in their ECHI / AHCI / other power management stuff and USB in te past year or so.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Beans

Why invest in a historical curiosity?
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by JDShu View Post
    The ReactOS developers in particular probably just enjoy the technical aspects of Windows NT systems, and want the legacy to live on.
    No. When they began the project, Windows NT was still relevant. But they're still working on an NT/XP clone; meanwhile, Microsoft has left them in the dust.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Also, Wine can't install windows drivers, for exa: Lexmark drivers. ReactOS, however, can.
    But the point of Wine is that you can run Windows software in Linux. ReactOS is a completely separate OS that you have to boot to that doesn't support Linux software. The Windows that came on my computer can run Windows drivers pretty well, too.

ReactOS is an awesome concept, but it's like a turtle chasing a rabbit.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Russia invests in ReactOS

I don't see the project getting to a stable point, and by the time they do it will only be compatible with Windows XP, so it is completely useless. Microsoft will always be years (if not decades) ahead of where ReactOS is, so you will never get that complete compatibility with Windows.

You are a lot better off just switching to Linux and using the alternative applications... or for the few Windows applications that are essential run them out of Wine.

ReactOS is a cool project, but it is completely useless.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Russia invests in ReactOS

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    I don't see the project getting to a stable point, and by the time they do it will only be compatible with Windows XP
    It's already compatible with Vista's NT version. It has been for more than a year.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123