Thread: Won't boot after upgrade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Won't boot after upgrade

I performed an apt-get update, apt-get upgrade and now I can't boot up. It goes as far as the Automatic Login window, but that's messed up. The field that formerly let me choose "Automatic Login" is now a small slit, and the buttons below that to get into auto login or cancel are not there. I hit all different combinations of keys, Esc, Tab, Enter, Ctl-Alt-<all function keys>, and who knows what random assortment of key presses, but no luck. Also, Cap Lock and Num Lock don't seem to function. No mouse, but that's how it operated previously.

Hitting Esc and other Ctl-Alt-Function Keys before I get to the auto login screen changes the display, but doesn't get me into anything where I can halt the process and run from a console. Esc let's me see some kind of boot progress, but I don't see anything useful there.

Any ideas? I'm running Linux Mint Isadora (Ubuntu 10.04).
    Last edited by Artificial Intelligence; June 29th, 2011 at 04:35 PM. Reason: added prefix

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Won't boot after upgrade

reboot in recovery mode, then select "repair packages"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    Thanks. I've searched and found two ways to get into recovery mode. One is hit Esc during boot, but that didn't work. The other was hold onto Shift while booting, which I haven't tried (but will tonight). Any other ways to get into recovery mode?

I'm also bringing home a few recovery disks to try if I can't get to rescue mode: Rescatux, Ubuntu Rescue Remix, and Super Grub. And as a last resort I'll have the latest Ubuntu Install CD and USB stick. Luckily I have the boot drive on its own partition, so I wouldn't lose my /home stuff if I decide to do a new, fresh install.

Anything else anyone can recommend I pack home for my latest adventure? I've got a fast network here at work, so I can make CDs all day. Comcast is being stupid at home and downloading a CD image can take hours.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

to get grub menu: hold "shift" key down at bios end process.

Beans

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    My favourite place of all, is the closet in the hall

| Ubuntuforums on Facebook |

Try elementary OS - https://elementary.io

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    OK, got to GRUB menu and tried to boot recovery mode, but it hangs at line
    Code:
    [2.9140000] Console: switching to colour frame buffer device 80X30
    Only ctl-alt-del seems to get it out of that, but then it just reboots and I'm back to autologin that doesn't work. I never saw any "repair packages".

Next I tried the different rescue disks. They boot fine and Rescatux lets me access my file system. I tried going into /etc/gdm/custom.conf to change AutologinEnable to False, but it was already there. I renamed custom.conf to hide it, but no luck there, either.
    Last edited by MarcG; June 30th, 2011 at 02:14 AM.

Beans

When you get to the menu to choose recovery mode, highlight it, then press 'e' to edit the entry. Find the line that ends with 'quiet splash'. Add a space at the end and then (no quotes) 'nomodeset'. Press ctrl+x to boot.

Does this let you access recovery mode?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    When you get to the menu to choose recovery mode, highlight it, then press 'e' to edit the entry. Find the line that ends with 'quiet splash'. Add a space at the end and then (no quotes) 'nomodeset'. Press ctrl+x to boot.

Does this let you access recovery mode?
    Thanks, but I broke things even more and couldn't get back to any kind of recovery mode. It looks like something I did with Rescatux (probably their grub update) removed my kernel, so all I got when booting was the grub prompt. It couldn't find any kernel to boot, and I couldn't find one, either.

So I just re-installed my original Mint Isadora. I tried the latest Mint 11, but that wouldn't boot - just like Ubuntu 11. It turns out there's a bug and the latest kernels don't work with my eMachines E725. I didn't need that to compound things :/

Anyway, I'm back up and thanks to all!

Beans

Are you by any change running an ATI card in your machine?

This helped me get from a non-responsive black screen back to a normal boot. The problem was with my ATI HD video card and the proprietary drivers I installed directly from AMD's site.

First I purged fglrx following these directions:
    http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Maverick_Installation_Guide#Removing_Cataly st.2Ffglrx

And then I reinstalled the newest drivers from amd's site:
    http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

It works fine now, though I am wary of running apt-get update/upgrade, cause that's what been breaking my machine, though I could probably just run these steps again if it does.