Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 23

Thread: Formatting external hard drive

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    128
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    ok
    -- Everyday I'm Shuffling

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SC CT
    Beans
    88
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    Forget it, I'm pretty sure you need to format it first, on top where it says format drive, right underneath the information about the drive, then you can partition it

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    128
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBoxer View Post
    Forget it, I'm pretty sure you need to format it first, on top where it says format drive, right underneath the information about the drive, then you can partition it
    so just go where it says format drive? i have it circled in the picture
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -- Everyday I'm Shuffling

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    SC CT
    Beans
    88
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    I'm pretty sure it's the one on the top that you need to click first, the one right above benchmark

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    128
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by DukeBoxer View Post
    I'm pretty sure it's the one on the top that you need to click first, the one right above benchmark
    And what do I format it to? the choices it gives is Master boot record, GUID partition table, don't partiton, and Apple partition map
    -- Everyday I'm Shuffling

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    If you reformat it, it will erase everything.

    You probably want MBR(msdos). The partitioning that has been used since the PC came out in the 1980's.

    MBR details including 2TiB limit and GPT link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

    gpt is the new partitioning method used by Macs and drives over 2TiB. You can use gpt as it is slight better and you will never install Windows on an external drive. Ubuntu will work with gpt but you have to create a bios_grub partition if you want to boot a gpt drive with Ubuntu and BIOS.

    Often when gparted or Ubuntu have issues with a NTFS partition you need to run chkdsk on the partition. I had a XP install that worked but gparted would not even see it. After a chkdsk XP worked better and gparted saw it just fine.
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    128
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you reformat it, it will erase everything.

    You probably want MBR(msdos). The partitioning that has been used since the PC came out in the 1980's.

    MBR details including 2TiB limit and GPT link
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Master_boot_record

    gpt is the new partitioning method used by Macs and drives over 2TiB. You can use gpt as it is slight better and you will never install Windows on an external drive. Ubuntu will work with gpt but you have to create a bios_grub partition if you want to boot a gpt drive with Ubuntu and BIOS.

    Often when gparted or Ubuntu have issues with a NTFS partition you need to run chkdsk on the partition. I had a XP install that worked but gparted would not even see it. After a chkdsk XP worked better and gparted saw it just fine.
    ok, how do i chkdsk an external hard drive? and there is no way to split it, ntfs and ext4, 50/50?
    -- Everyday I'm Shuffling

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    You use your Windows repair CD to run chkdsk or run it from your windows install. Just specify d: or whatever the Windows sees it as.

    Gparted should then let you split it any way you want.

    You should have a liveCD or repair CD/USB for every system you have installed. Some of us also have other Linux versions or repair CDs, just in case. But chkdsk can only be run from a Windows CD/USB.

    Make your own Windows recoveryCD/repair:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...em-repair-disc
    http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1114725.htm

    Windows 7 repair USB, Also Vista if service pack installed
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...tion-dvd-disc/
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/creat...usb-drive.html

    Vista/7 CHKDSK
    chkdsk [drive] /f /r
    chkdsk C: /r
    /f : Fixes errors on the disk.
    /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
    Note If you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. When you specify the chkdsk command without arguments, the command checks the current drive with no options in effect. Rerun until no errors.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Beans
    128
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    You use your Windows repair CD to run chkdsk or run it from your windows install. Just specify d: or whatever the Windows sees it as.

    Gparted should then let you split it any way you want.

    You should have a liveCD or repair CD/USB for every system you have installed. Some of us also have other Linux versions or repair CDs, just in case. But chkdsk can only be run from a Windows CD/USB.

    Make your own Windows recoveryCD/repair:
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/w...em-repair-disc
    http://forums.techarena.in/guides-tutorials/1114725.htm

    Windows 7 repair USB, Also Vista if service pack installed
    http://www.intowindows.com/how-to-re...tion-dvd-disc/
    http://www.webupd8.org/2010/10/creat...usb-drive.html

    Vista/7 CHKDSK
    chkdsk [drive] /f /r
    chkdsk C: /r
    /f : Fixes errors on the disk.
    /r : Locates bad sectors and recovers readable information.
    Note If you specify the /r option, the /p option is implied. When you specify the chkdsk command without arguments, the command checks the current drive with no options in effect. Rerun until no errors.
    http://www.microsoft.com/resources/d....mspx?mfr=true
    The system has a recovery cd built in. When it boots up and something goes wrong, it shows an error, then a recovery manager pops up giving some options. Since I dual boot it with Ubuntu, it goes to that every time, so i put it in windows recovery mode. I have no idea what service pack is installed.
    So my questions are:
    1) Should I go with the first or second method to make the repair cd
    2) does it have to be a cd or can it be a dvd
    3) (off topic question that I've been meaning to ask the forums) Should windows only run in recovery mode because of Ubuntu/any Linux distro, or is that a sign i did something wrong?
    -- Everyday I'm Shuffling

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    SW Forida
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

    Re: Formatting external hard drive

    The Windows repair is tiny, I made a Flash drive and it used only 200-300MB. Do not know about DVDs, but some writers may not work as well. Some making Ubuntu install disks have had issues with DVDs. You should also make the vendor recovery which is multiple DVDs and just an image of your install as purchased and/or a full backup.

    You should not be getting recovery mode every time. Have you run chkdsk on your install until there are no errors. Not sure what else may be an issue. All grub does is chainload into Windows and after that it is just like any Windows boot.

    If you run the auto repair in Windows it will write the Windows boot loader back into the MBR, so either use manual commands or be prepared to reinstall grub2's boot loader to the MBR.

    Reinstall grub2 - Short version & full chroot version
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...alling%20GRUB2
    Grub2 info & full chroot version - see METHOD 3 - CHROOT:
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Grub2#Recove...20via%20LiveCD
    How to restore the Ubuntu/XP/Vista/7 bootloader (Updated for Ubuntu 9.10 and later with grub2) by talsemgeest
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1014708
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •