Thread: best method for streaming from a pc to tv wirelessly

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

best method for streaming from a pc to tv wirelessly

I've got pc running Ubuntu and a CRT tv with sky plus and a Nintendo Wii attached. What would be the best way of getting the videos from my pc and displaying them on the tv? The tv is right next to the router so it could connect with a cable. the pc is running samba.

I was thinkin I'll probably need to get another computer to plug directly to the tv, just a small cheap media player type thing. Something that could be controlled with an android phone would be awesome!

Has anyone here done anything similar? Cheaper would be better and anything running FOSS esp Ubuntu would be great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: best method for streaming from a pc to tv wirelessly

I've been looking into media centres or HTPCs and it seems to be quite an expensive option. Would it be possible to have everything processed on the PC in the other room and just stream the video signal to a box that'll put it on the TV? that way I could save a lot on hardware I already have.

Beans

I would say, find some place where you can find a cheap desktop, all you really need is a decent processor and at least 1gig of ram, and really any video card will work.

Install Ubuntu on it and then install XBMC which is a HTPC. then you need a cable to convert the vga output to rca output, can find one for a couple dollars. I am not sure if this site works in england but you can give it a try, Monoprice.com

Hope this helps.

Good luck

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I've decided that as we're not really using the computer with the videos on much it'd be better and cheaper just to put the tower behind the tv and plug it in directly. That has the advantage of being cabled to the router rather then wireless so we can you WOL rather than leave it on.
    The pc has a x1950 sapphire card which has 2 dvi outputs and one svideo. Which would be better to connect it to the rca on The tv?