Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I accidentally uploaded wrong os verison

Beans

I accidentally uploaded wrong os verison

Does it make a difference if I have uploaded the 32 bit version on a computer that can support 64 bit os?

Beans

Re: I accidentally uploaded wrong os verison

Quote Originally Posted by Cubanicous View Post
    Does it make a difference if I have uploaded the 32 bit version on a computer that can support 64 bit os?

Hi and welcome to the forums

It doesnt matter, if youn have more than 3GB (3.2 actually) of RAM then to utilise it you would need x64 version or PAE enabled 32 bit.

IF not then it dont really matter, where possible IMO it is best to install the x64 if hardware supports it, but no real biggie if you didnt.

peace
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Shoot. My laptop has 4gb of ram. So should I just reinstall ubuntu 64bit version then?

Beans

I don't know if it will make any difference. I kinda did the same thing in reverse. I downloaded and burned both 32 and 64 bit versions, and after loading Ubuntu onto my 32 bit laptop, and getting the dual boot with w7 working , etc, realized that I had used the 64 bit disc in it. And it is working just fine. Laptop is a 3 year old hp g60 (originally with vista installed) and only 2 gig ram. Hd has 9 partitions and has been running w7 and ubuntu9 for years. just recently had a windows crash, and reloaded everything.
    Asus p4p800e deluxe, p4 2.4 4gig ram 240 gigs of hds(2) Ubuntu 8.04 emc2 db/Xp
    Hp G60 with 9.04 and win 7 dual boot.
    1.5 tbyte on wd netcenter total storage =2.4 tbyte

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can install the PAE kernel; it's in the repositories if I'm not mistaken. The 64 bit version however seems to be a lot faster according to tests on the phoronix website; if one however will notice the difference is another question
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Beans

the difference is noticeable, don't listen to that "it doesn't do anything unless you have more than 4gb of ram" rubbish.

few days ago i tested the 2 versions and the results showed great improvement (did i mention i have 3 gb of ram?)

32bit test 1
    08:07:09 Begin test
    08:15:56 End test
    TOTAL: 8:47

32bit test 2
    08:39:12 Begin test
    08:47:59 End test
    TOTAL: 8:47

32bit test 3
    09:04:57 Begin test
    09:13:43 End test
    TOTAL: 8:46

64bit test 1
    09:57:01 Begin test
    10:05:05 End test
    TOTAL: 8:04

64bit test 2
    09:57:01 Begin test
    10:05:05 End test

64bit test 3
    10:48:47 Begin test
    10:56:51 End test

here's the test if you want to try it out yourself

Code:
    public class Test {

static float percent = 1;
        static float endTest = Integer.MAX_VALUE;

public static void printLog(String logMessage) {
            System.out.println(new java.text.SimpleDateFormat("hh:mm:ss '" + logMessage + 
                    "'" ).format(java.util.Calendar.getInstance().getTime()));
        }

public static void  main(String arg[]) {

printLog("Begin test");

for (int i = 0; i < endTest; i++){

float[] variables = new float[100];

variables[0] = i;

for (int j = 1; j < variables.length; j++)
                variables[j] = variables[j-1];

if (i > (float)endTest*((float)(percent/100)))
                printLog((int)percent++ + "%");

}
        printLog("End test");
      }

}
    Last edited by nothingspecial; September 16th, 2011 at 11:41 AM. Reason: removed inapropriate language

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by sarwiz View Post
    ...after loading Ubuntu onto my 32 bit laptop, and getting the dual boot with w7 working , etc, realized that I had used the 64 bit disc in it. And it is working just fine.
    If you loaded the 64-bit version on your laptop, then it's not a 32-bit laptop. A 64-bit OS will not install on a 32-bit computer. In fact, you won't be able to run the Live- or other CD. It will give you a message that you can't when you first try to boot to the CD/DVD.
    73 from Glenn - KG5UC "Mungo just pawn in game of Life"
    Bump Thread Post #39000 - How To Partition

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by Cubanicous View Post
    shouldn't but i'd go for a wipe and reinstall if your comp. can support it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

If you just installed, it would not be a big deal to wipe and install 64bit. I would do that, just to have the best possible option on your system.

To be fair, you may never need all 4GB. To give you some perspective, I am running a C programming IDE, a VM of BackTrack5, seeding a bunch of random Linux distros, and have some other random stuff open like Skype, a terminal, PDFs, sound preferences, a few instances of GEdit, Chromium, file navigator, Dropbox, system monitor, and am getting updates from Twitter accounts via Gwibber every few minutes. I am using exactly 4GB of RAM. Screen shot attached.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kartabosh View Post
    the difference is noticeable, don't listen to that "it doesn't do anything unless you have more than 4gb of ram crap"

few days ago i tested the 2 versions and the results showed great improvement (did i mention i have 3 gb of ram?)
    Question is if the average user will really notice it in day to day use. How much faster will your emails be retrieved from the server or opened when you click on one? How much faster will a web page (e.g. ubuntuforums) be loaded and rendered?

I, for one, will probably not notice much difference except when I do image processing or possibly when ripping CDs. Others might benefit with complicated spreadsheet calculations or when creating videos. Or when compiling Ubuntu from its source code
    If you don't make backups of your important data, your data is obviously not important to you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast