Thread: Remastersys Live CD installation problem

Beans

Exclamation Remastersys Live CD installation problem

I want to take backup of my whole system using Remastersys along with my users' data.
    It creates full live ISO of my system.
    It works nicely when I try to boot as liveCD.
    But as I tried to install the backup distibution it hangs up!.. What to do now?

Is there any better software or other options to create live CD of my system which can be used to install on another system???

Thanks in advance..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Remastersys Live CD installation problem

I have the same or similar problem with Remastersys in Natty. Never had a problem with other versions of Ubuntu but there is no way I can find to install the backup of a Natty install. Other versions worked great so I've gone back to 10.10 Maverick on my new computer because that is all I could install. Good luck - google searches have shown nothing helpful so far...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

IMO you really do not need an image of the entire system, just back up the files you need.

this would be anything in your $HOME directory + any system files you manually edit.

All the other system files are an apt-get away.

You can very easily generate a list of all installed packages, and then restore those packages :

http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008...ckages-in.html
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I have The same problem with remastersys, I made a backup but when I want to install it didn't work, livecd boots well but no install.sux
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans

I use the install option in the remastersys start menu instead of using the install icon on the live version desktop. Worked fine for me with 11.04. Copied from one machine to another. No proprietary drivers installed.

Earl

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by deserthowler View Post
    I use the install option in the remastersys start menu instead of using the install icon on the live version desktop. Worked fine for me with 11.04. Copied from one machine to another. No proprietary drivers installed.

Earl
    the thing is the install option on the start menu doesn't install it just freeze there
    Monitor: LG flatron w1954s 22", mobo: G31-m7 series, CPU: Intel LGA 775 Intel core duo 2 2,66GHZ, RAM: 3GB, GPU: ATI Radeom HD 2400, Storage: 500GB SATA and 80GB IDE, Windows 7 ultimate and Ubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by deserthowler View Post
    I use the install option in the remastersys start menu instead of using the install icon on the live version desktop.
    Earl
    I tried that as well. Mine lets the install start but it goes quickly to a message that says the username and password I entered are invalid - but it never asks for a username and password during this part of the install! Then it says ubi-partman error exit code #10 - no idea - I like the remastersys version of installs because netgear wn111 ndlswrapper ubuntuit keeps all of my settings, programs and email accounts.

I am able to install a distro copy however. This has all of my programs installed. Now I will try the home copy and the packages list (in case I need it) suggested by bodhi.zazen and see if that does the job...
    Last edited by texla; September 29th, 2011 at 03:16 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    IMO you really do not need an image of the entire system, just back up the files you need.

this would be anything in your $HOME directory + any system files you manually edit.

All the other system files are an apt-get away.

You can very easily generate a list of all installed packages, and then restore those packages :

http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2008...ckages-in.html
    Thanks for this Bodhi! Took a while for everything to install - and a few restarts after copying my Home Folder. note: Unity went to always hide so that was fun to get back (hold down the Super or Windows key for a few seconds and then find your compiz settings in the search bar) but now all is good - Oh yeah, tried this with transferring my Natty install to a new computer with the Oncelot 11.10 beta 2 install and it worked great so far! Nice tip.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by texla View Post
    Thanks for this Bodhi! Took a while for everything to install - and a few restarts after copying my Home Folder. note: Unity went to always hide so that was fun to get back (hold down the Super or Windows key for a few seconds and then find your compiz settings in the search bar) but now all is good - Oh yeah, tried this with transferring my Natty install to a new computer with the Oncelot 11.10 beta 2 install and it worked great so far! Nice tip.
    You are most welcome, smaller backup then an image of the entire system
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface