Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mouse problem; fix needed; double-clicks in error

Beans

Mouse problem; fix needed; double-clicks in error

For the last two-three weeks my mouse has started interpreting about every other single click as a double click. It's apparently a bug. It's apparently a known bug. It has apparently been a bug, off and on, since 2008 or 2009. It doesn't affect all mice.

I have 9.10, Karmic Koala. I went to the trouble, when I installed it, to also install kde3.5 so I could play the old goldrunner. I don't know if an upgrade will leave my kde3.5 in place and the whole process basically kills a day of time. Even though Karmic was only supported through April 2011, something has changed to break it.

So upgrading is the least palatable solution--if it even would solve the problem, which isn't guaranteed. (Okay, going back to Windows is the LEAST palatable solution; but upgrading is still not the option I want to use... and it shouldn't be necessary.)

Buying a new mouse to fix a software problem is palatable, but it shouldn't be necessary. I'll do it if I could know that would fix the problem.

I have a Gigaware wired optical mouse with USB interface.

I've seen one fix that changes clocksource to jeffries. My clocksource is tsc, and jeffries isn't in the list of available clocksources.

Until the bug is fixed, there ought to be a decent workaround. Does anyone have a solution???

Keith
    .-.
    oo|
    /`'\
    (\_;/) Keith

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Mouse problem; fix needed; double-clicks in error

There are not a lot of persons willing to help with a distro that has reached the end of life. The first question always is "does it happen too in the most recent release?"

Maybe you should not upgrade for your mouse, but you should upgrade for other reasons. So I see no point in trying to solve such a problem when it will probably be fixed with an upgrade.

Beans

That's a valid statement; however, the problem is apparently not being cured with the later versions. Here's a link to a thread with the same problem on Natty:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1823912

Here's a post from 2010 without the version of Ubuntu identified but with a cogent explanation of what the poster thinks is the problem, i.e. "bounce"
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=9574744

I found that the problem must go back to 2004, at least...
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...ck-bug-171306/

I tried the xev program and watched the single-clicks versus double-clicks and did NOT get any single-clicks that appeared to be double-clicks--nor did I see two mice being referenced. That was puzzling. I did it about 30 times.

I'm not sure but think that would mean it's in the graphical environment somewhere. The same problem happens if I log in with kde. (Haven't tried the old kde 3.5 yet, but that's just there for one fun little program.)

The clunky workaround I've come up with is being deliberate with single-clicks... press down and wait half a second to a second and then release. This usually works. It's clunky. I've gone into the mouse preferences and changed the double click timeout slider from short to long and everywhere in between. I currently have it set to the longest setting. For a double-click I use a single click + Enter where possible.

Since this is a bug that repeats itself in various versions, I think it's a valid question to ask "What is a good workaround for when it happens?" It's obviously not really being fixed in later versions, it just takes a while before people complain.
    .-.
    oo|
    /`'\
    (\_;/) Keith

Beans

Looks like this problem has resurfaced, because I'm getting it in 11.10. I didn't have the problem when I first installed Ubuntu, it worked perfectly. So an update somewhere has re-introduced it.

Single click on the mouse is being received as a double click 80% of the time. Causes endless problems with highlighting text for copy/paste operations in editors.

My mouse is a Logitech Nano.

Anyone else seeing this problem?

Beans

Same problem here on Ubuntu 12.04 with a Logitech Performance MX mouse.
    Last edited by ksian; July 1st, 2012 at 04:04 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Could you guys post exactly which mice you're using? A few of you have written that you're using Logitech mouse; I use a Logitech M525 wireless laptop mouse on my Laptop's Ubuntu 12.04 partition, and I am not having this problem. Perhaps if you all post exactly which versions of Ubuntu and which mice you're using, it may become easier to see where the problem lies.

Beans
    Hidden!

same problem here.

Using 12.04 clean install on a Thinkpad X220. The internal mouse is mostly useless.

After a year I wanted to get back from Windows, but with this it will not happen...

hopefully there's a solution soon.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Seanlol View Post
    Could you guys post exactly which mice you're using? A few of you have written that you're using Logitech mouse; I use a Logitech M525 wireless laptop mouse on my Laptop's Ubuntu 12.04 partition, and I am not having this problem. Perhaps if you all post exactly which versions of Ubuntu and which mice you're using, it may become easier to see where the problem lies.
    My mouse is a Logitech VX Nano cordless laser mouse for notebooks

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Cor.../dp/B000U75V02

Ubuntu version 11.10. Fully up to date.

Beans

This is a long shot, but try reinstalling your mouse driver, I don't have this problem with a mouse of logitech's newer models.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    This is a long shot, but try reinstalling your mouse driver, I don't have this problem with a mouse of logitech's newer models.
    Not sure how to do that in Ubuntu. I thought it used a generic mouse driver built into the kernel.
    I haven't installed a specific driver for my mouse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast