Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ThinkPad x121e [Intel's i3 CPU]

Beans

Re: ThinkPad x121e [Intel's i3 CPU]

Hey there,

I tried the trick you told me with the elilo.conf file and the bootx64.efi in the /efi/boot directory!.

I succeed finally to boot on the usb key in UEFI only mode:

It was written :
    Elilo boot:
    Then it loads 2 files, and writes "done" for each of them. Then it stops loading and the usb key turn off. The screen stays the same....

What 's the matter ?

Thank you !
    Joris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm not sure my solution will work for you but I had a problem with USB drives booting on one machine, it booted fine on others. I formatted it in Windows 7 (took forever) but they now boot on this machine. The problem machine has a Gigabyte M.B. with an Award modular BIOS, no UEFI support. But formatting in Windows 7 then creating the LiveUSB with Unetbootin did cure my boot problem. Prior to the Windows 7 format I'd either get a "boot error" or maybe "grub rescue" message. I hope this is of some use.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jheyman View Post
    Hey there,

I tried the trick you told me with the elilo.conf file and the bootx64.efi in the /efi/boot directory!.

I succeed finally to boot on the usb key in UEFI only mode:

It was written :
    Elilo boot:
    Then it loads 2 files, and writes "done" for each of them. Then it stops loading and the usb key turn off. The screen stays the same....

What 's the matter ?
    Several possibilities spring to mind:

• There could be an error in the elilo.conf file -- a typo, an incomplete cut/paste, etc. Note this includes both errors copying it on your end and errors on my end; and it could be that what works fine for me fails on your computer and so could be considered an "error." Double-checking the file with what I posted, and perhaps studying the format and trying variants, might be worth trying. You could try removing the "quiet splash" options to get the kernel to display boot-time messages for more diagnostic information, for instance.
    • You could try the other boot option by typing "install" at the "ELILO boot:" prompt. That should launch the installer directly, rather than launch the desktop environment. On my test system, the installer ran in text mode when launched this way, but at least it did run.
    • The kernel provided by Ubuntu might be incompatible with your computer's hardware. Perhaps an upgraded kernel (most easily done with a more recent version of Ubuntu) would do better, or you might have better luck with another distribution (Fedora, OpenSUSE, Debian, etc.).
    • It could be that the system has booted but that there's a problem with the video interface. I've seen this on some UEFI boots, but mostly on VirtualBox installations. This could be tricky or impossible to get around, since without the display, you have no interface to the computer. (On my VirtualBox installs with this problem, I've been able to boot in other ways, enable an SSH server, reboot in the problem way, and log in via SSH to verify that the system has booted but doesn't have a display.)

One other thought occurred to me, regarding a BIOS-mode boot: Some of my systems have problems booting from some of my USB flash drives in BIOS mode. The problem appears to be tied to specific USB flash drives; for instance, a 2 GB PNY drive is unbootable on some of my computers, although it works fine as a non-boot data drive and is even bootable on other computers. You could be seeing something similar, in which case using a different USB flash drive might be a way to work around the problem.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Beans

Thks srs, I read carefullfy your explanations. I go to buy a new usb key. Maybe it will be my salvation...

Beans

IT WORKED ! I bought new SanDisk 8gb USB key and it boots without problem !

The BioDrive Disk2go.com I was using seems to be the cause of my troubles.

Thanks a lot for everybody help,
    Joris

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi,

I am not sure if this will help future readers with boot problems on the x121e.

https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu.../168297/+index
    Thinkpad x131e

Beans

I have a x121e as well. I am using ubuntu 10.10 but cannot detect any wireless connections. The Broadcom a/b/g/n chipset has no drivers available, wish I had bought it with an Intel WLAN chip

Just wondering what sort of temperatures other users are getting with i3 X121e's? I'm getting 55-65 degrees celsius at idle, and up to 75 degrees at load. Has anyone managed to improve on this? Perhaps the fan isn't running at full-speed by default on mine. Thinkpad-acpi reports it is in 'auto' mode at 600RPM.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

The thread linked below could be useful to install and configure the x121e

[ubuntu] Lenovo x121e i3 Linux Hardware Compatability - Ubuntu Forums

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Hi Dead1nside,

I had similar problems. Following the instructions here:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/11/l...hinkpad-fixed/

i knocked about 10 degrees off the temperature.

Also installing the Jupiter applet (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/09/jupit...lable-for.html) let me configure the power settings. Now temperatures only get high if its on max power setting or 'on demand' and i am doing some demanding work. Otherwise its about 48 deg.

Hope this helps.
    Thinkpad x131e

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12