Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to prevent Google from detecting router mac address

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

How to prevent Google from detecting router mac address

I have been reading about how google collects the location of routers by driving around neighborhoods and recording wifi router mac addresses and the house addresses of nearby houses. Apparently mac addresses are not protected even if the wifi is encrypted. Also, if one has an Android phone with gps, the mac address of any wifi router detected by the phone along with the current gps location is sent to Google, who puts it in a data base.

Does anybody know of a router I can purchase that protects its mac addresses--maybe by encrypting them or making them random and constantly changing. (Yes, this violates the basic concept of a mac address, but it seems possible.)

Thanks
    Ralph

Beans

Re: How to prevent Google from detecting router mac address

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph L View Post
    I have been reading about how google collects the location of routers by driving around neighborhoods and recording wifi router mac addresses and the house addresses of nearby houses. Apparently mac addresses are not protected even if the wifi is encrypted. Also, if one has an Android phone with gps, the mac address of any wifi router detected by the phone along with the current gps location is sent to Google, who puts it in a data base.

Does anybody know of a router I can purchase that protects its mac addresses--maybe by encrypting them or making them random and constantly changing. (Yes, this violates the basic concept of a mac address, but it seems possible.)

Thanks
    Ralph

You can turn your router off and thats about it

Edit: here is an article i had in my bookmarks from last year http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2500738/posts

If your Mac was encrypted or constantly changing traffic woudl never find its way back to your router, also your ISP would dropits connection, thats why when people change there routers sometimes they need to use MAC cloning to show an old one to maintain the connection until ISP sorts it out. http://www.whatismyip.com/faq/what-is-mac-cloning.asp
    Last edited by haqking; September 13th, 2011 at 10:17 PM.
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans

Edit, Double post
    Feel Free to Bitcoin Tip: 135Rp4pwwYTHEJ4u8bxKaDQiC91N9LUoV2

Backtrack - Giving machine guns to monkeys since 2006
    Kali-Linux - Adding a grenade launcher to the machine guns since 2013

Beans
    Hidden!

I see that haqking already answered this.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; September 14th, 2011 at 01:35 AM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

think he means having the MAC of the wireless network card changing constantly rather than the MAC of the WAN interface, since there would be no way for the streetview car to see the WAN one without actually breaking into the router. marginally more plausible, possibly if you're router supports DD-WRT firmware that could do it. then just change MAC address once a week or so.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Jeeez, you make Google sound so....what is the word I am looking for? You make Google look so "EVIL". Just because they track your every move on the internet, go through all your gmail, google docs, google voice, all your cell phone info, you location at all times, and want to know more information about you doesn't make them evil. Let them have all your info. Remember, privacy smivency, you should have nothing to hide. Why worry?
    Last edited by CharlesA; September 14th, 2011 at 08:07 PM. Reason: slang...

let me count the conspiracies (yawn)....
    nsa key in window registry.
    PGP is backdoored.
    RSA is backdoored.
    Bill Gates can read your hard drive (when you/I/we used Windows)
    Carnivore program.
    Sony's DRM rootkit (ok, this was legit)

Quote Originally Posted by sofl w View Post
    ...privacy smivency, you should have nothing to hide. Why worry?
    +1.
    Death drives an Airflow Chrysler on the streets of man
    A hit and run driver cruising since the world began

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by milkkart View Post
    think he means having the MAC of the wireless network card changing constantly rather than the MAC of the WAN interface, since there would be no way for the streetview car to see the WAN one without actually breaking into the router. marginally more plausible, possibly if you're router supports DD-WRT firmware that could do it. then just change MAC address once a week or so.
    After re-reading the post, I think that is what is actually being asked.

I can change the WLAN MAC address all I want; however, if I type in "/usr/sbin/arp -a" in a terminal on a computer connected wirelessly to the router, the router's wireless broadcast MAC address doesn't change. I doubt that most consumer routers would make it very easy to change the router's broadcast MAC address.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans
    Hidden!

I have been using the Internet from the days of ARPANET. I know that if you put something on the Internet it is no longer guaranteed to be private. I also know that if you broadcast it on radio frequencies, it is no longer guaranteed to be private. That includes your cell phone.

Am I paranoid? No, I don't think so.

I know that if I put anything into the public domain or airspace it is fair game. Therefore, I don't put anything into the public domain or airspace I wouldn't want the general public to know. I actually talk to people face-to-face.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; September 14th, 2011 at 02:44 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Should this thread still be in the General Help Forum or moved elsewhere?

Or, can it get back to answering the OP's post?

If someone does have a suggestion, I would be interested in what it is. I try to be aware of things I can use to increase my security on the Internet or over public airspace.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; September 14th, 2011 at 02:53 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast