Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu and Win XP in partitions with no boot menu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: Ubuntu and Win XP in partitions with no boot menu

OK, the other point was about the other swap partitions. At present you have, as swap partitions:

sda1 = 107.4GB = 100GiB (probably originally your Windows partition).
    sda5 = 167.8GB = 156.3GiB
    sda6 = 167.8GB = 156.3GiB

And your Ubuntu root partition:

sda7 = 57.2GB = 53.2GiB

This means that you have, excluding sda1, a total of 335.6GB of swap space. If you include sda1, it totals 443GB. I think that must be something of a record! Swap partitions are usually in the range of 1 to 4 GB. We can sort that out when (hopefully) you have rescued the Windows partition, but I would be interested to know how you came by so much swap space.

A couple of other comments and questions:

Did you use the alternate or the live desktop CD to install Ubuntu?

If you are feeling confident to use testdisk from the links I provided you, it is better to run it from the live CD rather than from the hard drive that testdisk will be working on. When you boot into the live CD session, it will immediately automount all the swap partitions, so you need to run the swapoff command that I gave you earlier before doing anything else:

Code:
    sudo swapoff -a
    Lastly, Quackers was only able to post briefly because he had other things to attend to. I shall be logging out in less than 2 hours, but Quackers will probably be able to keep an eye on this thread for later. In any event we'll both check this thread tomorrow, UK time.
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Member: Not Canonical Team

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

This means that you have, excluding sda1, a total of 335.6GB of swap space. If you include sda1, it totals 443GB. I think that must be something of a record! Swap partitions are usually in the range of 1 to 4 GB. We can sort that out when (hopefully) you have rescued the Windows partition, but I would be interested to know how you came by so much swap space.
    Yeah, me too. How did you end up with so much swap?
    Good luck to you, I hope you get your Windows XP back.

Beans

I did the same with testdisk and executed the swapoff command from live cd.
    When I tried to mount the partitions, it is saying its a swap space.

Code:
    sudo mount /dev/sda6 /mnt/sda6
    /dev/sda6 looks like swapspace - not mounted
    mount: you must specify the filesystem type

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

What did you do with testdisk? You shouldn't try to mount the partition; you just run testdisk. And anyway, the partition you are trying to restore to its original condition is sda1. Why are you trying to mount sda6?
    Ubuntu 16.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 14.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags - IRC #ubuntuforums

Please do not PM me about your forum account unless you have been asked to. The correct place to contact an admin about your account is here.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    What did you do with testdisk? You shouldn't try to mount the partition; you just run testdisk. And anyway, the partition you are trying to restore to its original condition is sda1. Why are you trying to mount sda6?
    I have 3 swap partitions. So, tried with sda6 as well.

Here is what I have done.

Ran testdisk and have selected the swap partition and selected 'Write' option.

I rebooted the machine and used the live cd and gave the swapoff -a command.

How do i check whether the partitions are fine? I tried to mount but failed.

Beans

If I cant boot windows also, its fine. But I want to copy the files which are in the partitions. How can i do that?

Thanks in advance

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

@srujanabobba, you didn't actually answer my question as to how you came by so much swap space. I believe I can see it now. My guess is that sda1, sda5 and sda6 were originally NTFS partitions, with sda1 your Windows C: partition, and that somehow you accidentally reformatted them as Linux swap partitions.

To answer your latest question, how to copy the files. There are only two ways that I know of. The first is to use testdisk to try to recover the partitions as NTFS ones. If you run testdisk it will scan your hard disk and if it finds valid NTFS filesystems corresponding with those three partitions, it may be able to recover them. But you have to run testdisk. Read the two links I posted earlier.

If testdisk fails - and it shouldn't - then you will have to use file recovery software. One option would be photorec which comes with testdisk. There are instructions for using photorec after the testdisk instructions in one of the links I posted. This is a last option. In a total of about 450GB space, photorec is likely to recover literally hundreds of thousands of files and give them all seemingly arbitrary filenames. Most will be lost system files, not your personal files. I would not want to have to sort through that lot.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @srujanabobba, you didn't actually answer my question as to how you came by so much swap space. I believe I can see it now. My guess is that sda1, sda5 and sda6 were originally NTFS partitions, with sda1 your Windows C: partition, and that somehow you accidentally reformatted them as Linux swap partitions.
    While installing ubuntu, there is an option to swap space. My mistake is that, I ASSUMED that that space can be used both by linux and windows. Purely my mistake which leads me here
    To answer your latest question, how to copy the files. There are only two ways that I know of. The first is to use testdisk to try to recover the partitions as NTFS ones. If you run testdisk it will scan your hard disk and if it finds valid NTFS filesystems corresponding with those three partitions, it may be able to recover them. But you have to run testdisk. Read the two links I posted earlier.

If testdisk fails - and it shouldn't - then you will have to use file recovery software. One option would be photorec which comes with testdisk. There are instructions for using photorec after the testdisk instructions in one of the links I posted. This is a last option. In a total of about 450GB space, photorec is likely to recover literally hundreds of thousands of files and give them all seemingly arbitrary filenames. Most will be lost system files, not your personal files. I would not want to have to sort through that lot.
    I have done with testdisk. It is showing the partition files, and a partition table is written. It asked for reboot after quitting from the testdisk and did the same. How do we know whether it is recovered?

Thanks,
    Srujana

Beans

Hi,

I have done some googling and found some articles on how to remove the swap space. I have managed to change the primary partition to NTFS. and then i tried testdisk again. This time after reboot, I got no partition error and got grub rescue command.

I tried fixboot and fixmbr with windows xp cd and rebooted the machine. I got windows now. C: partition has all the files. But other space 345GB is showing as unallocated. Is there any way, that I can go to linux and do the same process for other partitions as well?

I can take a backup and install ubuntu again.

Thanks,
    Srujana

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

I really cannot say more than I've said more than once already: use testdisk to try to recover lost partitions. I'm glad you've apparently got sda1 back. You need to do the same with sda5 and sda6. I really hope that article you found on how to remove swap space hasn't done more damage than was done by reformatting sda5 and sda6 to swap in the first place. Since you now have unallocated space I fear it might have done. If you still have viable filesystems from now-lost partitions, testdisk will be able to reconstruct the partitions. If you damage the filesystems, you will lose what was there.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12