Thread: gnome-pannel dosn't appear

Beans

gnome-pannel dosn't appear

I upgraded Ubuntu from 10.10 to 11.04 . the system said upgrade is complete but with some errors(it says gconf is failed to install or update). when I log in after upgrade desktop is shown without panel then i launch terminal Using launcher(right click on desktop and on clicking create launcher menu in that pop up.on the command field of the create launcher window i typed gnome-terminal) and then only I can open terminal. And on terminal i run the command gnome-panel. I have to do this on every login.
    Is there any start program list ?

I read that Ubuntu 11.04 natty has unity desktop environment. But i still have gnome2 . there is libre office instead of open office in my system

There was an error in the middle of upgrading process it is:
    ............... . . . . . . . cannot open pixbuf loader module file /lib/gdk-pixbuf 2.0/2. . .

how to make Ubuntu show pannels default after login.
    Last edited by Siva Sankaran; September 13th, 2011 at 08:48 AM. Reason: adding additional details

Beans

Re: gnome-pannel dosn't appear

On typing pixbuf in Quick filter field in Synaptic packet manager I got some packages list. In the list I found "libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev" ( describtion tells "This package contains the header files which are needed for using GDK Pixbuf.") which is not installed . So I install and restart the system I fix it.

screenshot is attached here

I entered command to find which desktop environment is there in system(whether gnome or unity)

Code:
      $echo $DESKTOP_SESSION  
                                  gnome
    It told that gnome.
    what happened here ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

in ubuntu unity you dont have gnome-panel. for that you need to move to ubuntu classic . if you wanna see it

logout first and then in the login screen you are going to have something like ubuntu classic,select it and then login .

i think this is what you what ?

let me know
    Dont miss anything even it is small. one small pin is enough to bring down a man.

Beans

I think my system has gnome desktop environment not Unity. Because system monitor tells gnome 2.32.1. And also environmental variable $DESKTOP_SESSION has "gnome" only.

After kernel begin execution it starts some other processes. Among this gnome-panel is one.

Before installing "" package the launcher(look like in windows 7) and searching ability was not there.

after installation and a reboot the desktop seen with a bar(or panell) on top (with power button,time,etc..,)

My guess is gconf was broken and now it got fixed