Thread: After installing video card driver I can't configure multiple monitors...

Beans

Angry After installing video card driver I can't configure multiple monitors...

Hi there,
    I've just started using Ubuntu 10.04. and I have this strange problem.

In windows I use 2 monitors - the main laptop display and Samsung Sync Master. My computer is Asus x73sl.

When I boot Ubuntu, both monitors are working, but in very low resolution and only in mirror mode. After I install the nVidia driver, suggested by Ubuntu, and restart the machine, my laptop screen resolution becomes significantly higher and I can use the full visual effects option. But I'm not able to use the second monitor anymore.

NVIDIA X Server seems to refuse to apply and save any change I try to make in the settings. In X Server Display Configuration I'm able to set the second monitor properly, but when I try to apply the changes, an error message appears. When I try to save the changes to the X Configuration File (and restart the program and/or the computer), no changes take place at all.

Here's what NVIDIA X Server Settings says about the Graphics Card Information:
    Graphics Processor: GeForce 9300M GS
    VBIOS Version: 62.98.3c.00.54
    Memory: 512 MB
    Bus Type: PCI Express x16
    Bus ID: ?@??
    PCI Device ID: Unknown
    PCI Vendor ID: Unknown
    IRQ: 16
    X Screens: Screen 0
    Display Devices: LGD (DFP-0), Samsung SyncMaster (CRT-0)

Do you guys have any idea what the problem might be and how could I possibly solve it?

Thank you in advance!

Best regards,
    Svetlin Kolev

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: After installing video card driver I can't configure multiple monitors...

Can you post your xorg.conf file?
    Best app ever: Easystroke

Beans

I apologize if I sound profane, but where should I look for this file and how to post it here?

I feel like a noob... Damn, all these years using Windows have obviously made an absolute idiot out of me...
    Last edited by shnura; September 12th, 2011 at 10:03 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

open terminal,run
    Code:
    gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
    Best app ever: Easystroke