Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems using SSL in C#

Beans
    Hidden!

Problems using SSL in C#

Since my last thread, I've discovered that SSL in C# doesn't really require anything more than the normal HTTP stuff. But now I'm stuck on a completely separate thing.

I can't seem to get Mono to work with the SSL certificates. No matter what I try, I keep getting an "invalid certificate received from server" error. Even when testing with https://encrypted.google.com/ I get the error. I also got it when using examples on the Mono website (http://www.mono-project.com/UsingTru...tsRespectfully oddly the .NET 2.0 profile code for Method #-1 doesn't compile, and the .NET 1.0 profile code complains of an obsolete class).

Here's what it shows in the terminal:
    Code:
    Unhandled Exception: System.Net.WebException: Error getting response stream (Write: The authentication or decryption has failed.): SendFailure ---> System.IO.IOException: The authentication or decryption has failed. ---> Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsException: Invalid certificate received from server. Error code: 0xffffffff800b010a
      at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.Handshake.Client.TlsServerCertificate.validateCertificates (Mono.Security.X509.X509CertificateCollection certificates) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.Handshake.Client.TlsServerCertificate.ProcessAsTls1 () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.Handshake.HandshakeMessage.Process () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.Handshake.HandshakeMessage:Process ()
      at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.ClientRecordProtocol.ProcessHandshakeMessage (Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.TlsStream handMsg) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.RecordProtocol.InternalReceiveRecordCallback (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
      at Mono.Security.Protocol.Tls.SslStreamBase.AsyncHandshakeCallback (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      --- End of inner exception stack trace ---
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.EndGetResponse (IAsyncResult asyncResult) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at System.Net.HttpWebRequest.GetResponse () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
      at test2.MainClass.Main (System.String[] args) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
    And this is the actual code (it's example code a friend gave, slightly edited):
    Code:
    using System;
    using System.Net;
    using System.IO;

namespace test2
    {
    	class MainClass
    	{
    		public static void Main (string[] args)
    		{
    try {
    	WebRequest request = HttpWebRequest.Create("https://encrypted.google.com/");
        HttpWebResponse response = (HttpWebResponse) request.GetResponse();
        Stream stream = response.GetResponseStream();
    }
    catch(IOException e) { Console.WriteLine("Failed to connect to URI"); }
    catch(UriFormatException e) { Console.WriteLine("Bad URI format"); }
    		}
    	}
    }

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Wink Re: Problems using SSL in C#

I had a similar problem.

You should anyway ignore SSL certificate errors.
    Because for example when you connect via localhost instead of IP to a server that requires HTTPS, you'll always get this exception.

VB.NET
    Code:
    System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback = Function() True
    C#
    Code:
    System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback = () => true;

See my post here:
    http://stackoverflow.com/questions/3...ervice-request

What version of mono are you using anyway ?
    Because versions prior to .NET 3.5 didn't correctly handle SSL...

Maybe you should take a look at mono 2.10.4 or 2.11
    The 2.6 or 2.8 versions of ubuntu are just annoying, but Ubuntu can't upgrade it without a distro-upgrade, because Banshee et all require this version, and need to be updated before they can put 2.10 on Ubuntu.

Maybe in the future they'll learn to configure default-mono as parallel install, so one can upgrade the application level mono version without modifying the distro-level version.

In mono 2.11, NuGet will start to work (a first successful attempt)!
    Last edited by WitchCraft; September 10th, 2011 at 09:17 AM.
    In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?
    Linux is like a wigwam.... no Gates, no Windows but Apache inside!
    http://www.debianadmin.com
    apt-get install libstdc++6-4.3-doc

Beans
    Distro

Just tested.
    I got the exception as well, on 2.10...

But it works like this:

Code:
    using System;
    using System.Security.Cryptography.X509Certificates;

namespace SSLtest
    {

class MainClass
    	{

// callback used to validate the certificate in an SSL conversation
    		private static bool ValidateRemoteCertificate(
    			object sender,
    			X509Certificate certificate,
    			X509Chain chain,
    			System.Net.Security.SslPolicyErrors policyErrors
    		)
    		{

return true;
    			/*
    			if (Convert.ToBoolean(ConfigurationManager.AppSettings["IgnoreSslErrors"]))
    			{
    				// allow any old dodgy certificate...
    				return true;
    			}
    			else
    			{
    				return policyErrors == SslPolicyErrors.None;
    			}
    			*/
    		} // End Function ValidateRemoteCertificate

public static void Main (string[] args)
    		{
    			//System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback += ValidateRemoteCertificate;
    			System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback += (s,ce,ca,p) => true;

string strResponse = null;
    			try 
    			{
    				System.Net.WebRequest request = System.Net.HttpWebRequest.Create("https://encrypted.google.com/");
    				System.Net.HttpWebResponse response = (System.Net.HttpWebResponse) request.GetResponse();
    				System.IO.Stream stream = response.GetResponseStream();
    				System.IO.StreamReader sr = new System.IO.StreamReader(stream);
    				strResponse = sr.ReadToEnd();
    				sr.Close();
    				sr.Dispose();
    				stream.Dispose();
    			}
    			catch(System.IO.IOException ex) 
    			{ 
    				Console.WriteLine("Failed to connect to URI"); 
    				Console.WriteLine("Reason:"); 
    				Console.WriteLine(ex.Message);
    				Console.WriteLine(Environment.NewLine);
    				Console.WriteLine("Stacktrace:"); 
    				Console.WriteLine(ex.StackTrace); 
    			}
    			catch(System.UriFormatException ex) 
    			{ 
    				Console.WriteLine("Bad URI format"); 

Console.WriteLine("Reason:"); 
    				Console.WriteLine(ex.Message); 
    				Console.WriteLine("Stacktrace:"); 
    				Console.WriteLine(ex.StackTrace); 
    			}

Console.WriteLine ("Read the following stream:");
    			Console.WriteLine(strResponse);
    			Console.WriteLine(" --- Press any key to continue --- ");
    			Console.ReadKey();
    		} // End Sub Main 

} // End Class MainClass

} // End Namespace SSLtest

As a sidenote:
    Code:
    System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback = () => true;
    doesn't compile. Bad advice.

I don't know whether this is the same on Windows, I just know that the VB.NET version works on Windows, and that I used the developer fusion web-service to translate the VB.NET piece to C#.

But it works like this:
    Code:
    System.Net.ServicePointManager.ServerCertificateValidationCallback += (s,ce,ca,p) => true;
    Last edited by WitchCraft; September 10th, 2011 at 09:47 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Arrow Re: Problems using SSL in C#

Oh, and BTW:
    You better add a
    Code:
    catch(System.Exception ex)
    as well, or else your app get's an unhandled exception sooner or later.
    Usually sooner.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Problems using SSL in C#

Yeah, I have Mono 2.6.7, the version that's in the Ubuntu repositories for 11.04. I'm running Kubuntu, though, so I don't think Mono is installed or required by default, so the fact that the version is apparently restricted by GTK apps I don't have is a little annoying.

With another site I was trying, I used "certmgr -ssl [website]" to download and install the certificates. And while that also complained that they're invalid, it seemingly installed them. But the code still crashes when trying to connect to that site.

I do have a Windows XP virtual machine, so I probably would have better luck writing the code in there, but I suppose it would cause problems if I ran it in Mono.

I would hope that Kubuntu 11.10 would have a more updated Mono. Would a more recent Mono be able to handle this without any problems? Or would I still need to ignore the errors and all that? I would rather wait for a more updated version of Mono that fixes the problem rather than creating a mess of code that just sort of ignores the issue.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Zeikcied View Post
    Yeah, I have Mono 2.6.7, the version that's in the Ubuntu repositories for 11.04. I'm running Kubuntu, though, so I don't think Mono is installed or required by default, so the fact that the version is apparently restricted by GTK apps I don't have is a little annoying.

With another site I was trying, I used "certmgr -ssl [website]" to download and install the certificates. And while that also complained that they're invalid, it seemingly installed them. But the code still crashes when trying to connect to that site.

I do have a Windows XP virtual machine, so I probably would have better luck writing the code in there, but I suppose it would cause problems if I ran it in Mono.

I would hope that Kubuntu 11.10 would have a more updated Mono. Would a more recent Mono be able to handle this without any problems? Or would I still need to ignore the errors and all that? I would rather wait for a more updated version of Mono that fixes the problem rather than creating a mess of code that just sort of ignores the issue.
    I compiled my latest code with MonoDevelop on Ubuntu, and it downloaded the site's HTML page just fine. But you have to include the CertificateValidationCallback --> true, else it still throws your exception.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Zeikcied View Post

Mono's certificate store is empty, by default.

certmgr is the tool to manage the cert store - and its source code can be used as a reference for managing the cert store inside your app.

certmgr -ssl can be used to add a certificate by trying to connect to a target site and taking its cert. Or you can install a cert individually.

There's also a tool called mozroots, which imports all your Firefox CA certs.
    Understanding is a three-edged sword: Your side, their side, and the truth

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post

certmgr is the tool to manage the cert store - and its source code can be used as a reference for managing the cert store inside your app.

certmgr -ssl can be used to add a certificate by trying to connect to a target site and taking its cert. Or you can install a cert individually.

+1, that's the more correct though more work insentive and less fast way

But as said, just tell mono's SSL routines to ignore validation errors.
    It still transmits encrypted as SSL, just that it doesn't validate the source's authenticity.
    Last edited by WitchCraft; September 11th, 2011 at 03:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by directhex View Post

I said I used certmgr -ssl to download and install the certs for another website (it still complained they were invalid but seemed to install them anyway) but the code still threw an exception saying the certificate was invalid. Even though I had it stored via certmgr.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by WitchCraft View Post
    I compiled my latest code with MonoDevelop on Ubuntu, and it downloaded the site's HTML page just fine. But you have to include the CertificateValidationCallback --> true, else it still throws your exception.
    I only mentioned waiting for the next version of Kubuntu for a hopefully more current Mono because you seemed to imply that newer Mono versions may not have this SSL bug, thus I wouldn't need to ignore any errors.

I guess Oneiric will have Mono 2.10.5, but I don't know if that's better than 2.6.7 in terms of SSL or not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast