Thread: Laptop with Two Batteries

Beans

Laptop with Two Batteries

I have a ThinkPad X220. I just purchased the Lenovo 19+ "slice" battery for it which connects via the docking port. I'm running Xubuntu 11.04 64-bit. All of the following was done with my laptop running only on battery power.

Upon installing this battery, Xubuntu showed two batteries in the panel, as expected. Each shows its own percentage and charging state.

Upon rebooting, it shows only one battery (the normal system battery), and it shows it as attached to an AC adapter. This is a huge problem because the system thinks it is running on AC, and prefers performance over power savings in many ways.

If I suspend the computer and wake it back up, two batteries are shown again, and behave properly. The same happens if I remove and replace the slice battery (thus, I have an inconvenient solution to the problem).

Additionally, other weird problems have sprung up since installing this battery, namely: The suspend keyboard shortcut built into this computer (Fn + F4) no longer works. It previously worked fine. Also, the brightness keys (Fn + Home and Fn + End) now work, but are not recognized by the OS. By this I mean that previously, pressing them would cause a sun animation to appear on the screen. Now, that sun does not appear, but the brightness still changes, now in finer increments.

Any ideas?

Beans

Re: Laptop with Two Batteries

I went ahead and filed a bug report: https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/846215

Beans

Re: Laptop with Two Batteries

Any ideas at all?