Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Skim milk might be unhealthy

Beans
    Hidden!

Skim milk might be unhealthy

I find this interesting as all we use is skim milk.
    It can lead to an increase in arterial plaques and heart disease. So what I thought was healthier than whole milk looks like I was wrong.

http://health.msn.com/health-topics/...?ocid=xnetr3-1

THE SKINNY ON NONFAT MILK

To turn skim milk white, "some companies fortify their product with powdered skim," says Bob Roberts, a dairy scientist at Penn State. Powdered skim (which is also added to organic low-fat milks) is produced by spraying the liquid under heat and high pressure, a process that oxidizes the cholesterol. In animal studies, oxidized cholesterol triggers a host of biological changes, leading to plaque formation in the arteries and heart disease, Spanish researchers reported in 1996. "OCs are mutagenic and carcinogenic," they wrote. In 1998, Australian researchers studied rabbits fed OC and found that the animals "had a 64% increase in total aortic cholesterol" despite having less cholesterol in their blood than rabbits fed natural sources of the substance. (A 2008 Chinese study with hamsters confirmed these findings.) Roberts says the amount of OC created by adding powdered skim is "not very much," but until the effects on humans are known, it's impossible to say what's a safe level.

Beans

Re: Skim milk might be unhealthy

I drink 1% or 2% if I cant get 1%. Body needs a little fat intake to keep your skin from drying out anyway..
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 16GB RAM, 1.25TB Fusion Array, Intel HD4000 iGPU
    Photo Blog on Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/ExodistPhotoBlog
    Linux User: 380654

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I still drink Whole Milk. People complain its full of fat but it is better than any amount of soda.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yikes... this is good to know...

Beans

It seems that anything you eat these days is potentially harmful. I say stay away from the stuff where the harm is well documented and don't worry too much about stuff like this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Remember they told us eggs, were bad, then good, then only parts were good, and then something else.

You should not get too excited or follow anything just because you are told.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SoFl W View Post
    Remember they told us eggs, were bad, then good, then only parts were good, and then something else.

You should not get too excited or follow anything just because you are told.
    If you go & read up on that study that made eggs bad for so many in the world for so long, you will find that the eggs the scientists used were all powdered eggs...

As far as arteriosclerosis is concerned, some of the studies of Linus Pauling (two time Nobel prize winning research scientist) show that the most important nutrient to have lots off every day is vit' C. Lots of, meaning at least 3 grams/day.

If you want to remove your accumulated arterial plaque, then double that dose for some time, then go & have "another" set of blood tests & see if you need to continue at that level or if you can then go back to the 3 grams maintenance dosage. Vit E, also helps as do some other nutrients, but vit' C is the one.

90% of the pharmaceutically trained medical practitioners of course say that this is a load of rubbish. They may also say that taking large doses of vitamins is bad for your health.

If you do a search on how many people died from vitamin overdoses last year, & then do a search on how many die from prescribed pharmaceuticals, you'll see that none died from vitamins & ~100,000 died from prescribed pharmaceuticals (U.S. figures).

Most importantly, do your own research & then make your own choices, as it is your body/life.

How do you want to spend the last 10->20 years of your life?

Most people create the health conditions that they must live with in their last 2 decades, during their previous years. For most, it is possible to turn some of the damage that we do around fairly quickly - that is in a year or two. Though it takes commitment to do the research & then apply what is learned consistently.

The young guns usually don't care about this stuff, as they still feel like they (their bodies) are immortal... I know I didn't.

Now I know it isn't my body that is immortal...
    Last edited by handy; September 10th, 2011 at 06:04 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Just eat and drink what you like, with some degree of moderation. Then just take regular light exercise on a daily basis.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Vit C is important, but not as much as Vit D. Most people eat enough vit c because its in so many fruits and veggies, but vit D is barely in food. the only way we get enough is to go sit outside for a bit, and because western society lives most of the time indoors we get low on the stuff.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Lions milk is dangerous because if you milk a lion it might scratch you a little.
    Registered Linux user: #543082
    Registered Ubuntu user: #34219
    http://dvisagie.com/

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast