Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Skim milk might be unhealthy

Beans

Re: Skim milk might be unhealthy

Quote Originally Posted by DZ* View Post

It's presumptuous to think companies somehow benefit from a lack of pill that would cure heart disease. A drug company that could discover such a drug would make every effort to get it on the market. A blockbuster drug is a rarity but ultimately that is what makes pharma companies rich.
    It is not in their interest to promote the ways to avoid CVD. They could do it now, but their businesses would diminish dramatically.

Their primary concern is quarterly profits & the benefits that the members of the board get due to those.

Further, there is no such thing as "to die of old age". Unless there is a pill that would make people immortal, something else is going to break eventually and the pathological process that leads to that is something companies would be making new money from.

It's just wishful thinking that curing common diseases will make people "healthy" and that we would then go off like a light bulb, with no apparent cause (and an associated degenerative process starting long before the lights go off).
    You are reacting in an uncharacteristically unintelligent fashion.

I take it from what you wrote above that you don't believe that a person can via the use of nutrients (one way or another) effect how long they will live, how healthily they will live, & therefore have some control over what diseases they are prone to?

If that is your belief, the quality of your life will most likely benefit from you doing some open minded study on the subject. You may be very surprised at what you learn.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Self diagnosis and treatment is as dangerous or if not more dangerous than no Professional diagnosis/treatment.
    That is a BIG generalisation KiwiNZ.

If someone takes measures using various nutrients in an effort to prevent illness, I can't see them doing themselves any damage. The water soluble nutrients (most of them) are eliminated in approx' 4 hours, the fat soluble stay longer.

People are advised what they should & shouldn't eat if they want to avoid CVD, diabetes & so on, by government departments no less. That is nutrition they are talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    I hear a lot the "big bad drug companies". Medical treatment research, development and testing costs huge amounts of money. Those companies have a right to recoup costs and make a profit to continue their vital work . Without the efforts of Drug companies, medical appliance companies and a very long lists of medical professionals I would still be in an Electric Wheelchair or worse dead.
    It is true that the pharmaceutical companies have done a lot of good in fighting disease.

What I was saying is that they control the medical profession & that the "business" of medicine is about making money from disease, NOT preventing disease.

There was a time in the past in China, when every person in a village paid the village healer - until they got sick!
    Last edited by handy; September 12th, 2011 at 02:23 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    You are reacting in an uncharacteristically unintelligent fashion.

I take it from what you wrote above that you don't believe that a person can via the use of nutrients (one way or another) effect how long they will live, how healthily they will live, & therefore have some control over what diseases they are prone to?

If that is your belief, the quality of your life will most likely benefit from you doing some open minded study on the subject. You may be very surprised at what you learn.
    I've been studying a field of so-called life extension for a long time (not by reading websites but by following peer reviewed literature), and practicing what is known to extend life. Whatever a person is going to die from would always be a form of disease (discounting accidents). Its progression can be delayed by drugs. Take away heart disease, late cancers will come around, cure that, face dementia, and so on.

You appear to be thinking that people are lobsters.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Been drinking whole cow's and buffalo's milk since childhood, I have no cholesterol issues with total count of 138 at 54% HDL.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    That is a BIG generalisation KiwiNZ.

If someone takes measures using various nutrients in an effort to prevent illness, I can't see them doing themselves any damage. The water soluble nutrients (most of them) are eliminated in approx' 4 hours, the fat soluble stay longer.

People are advised what they should & shouldn't eat if they want to avoid CVD, diabetes & so on, by government departments no less. That is nutrition they are talking about.

It is true that the pharmaceutical companies have done a lot of good in fighting disease.

What I was saying is that they control the medical profession & that the "business" of medicine is about making money from disease, NOT preventing disease.

There was a time in the past in China, when every person in a village paid the village healer - until they got sick!
    Early Diagnosis is key to successful treatment in many illnesses. By doing 'self diagnosis' the untrained will miss the early diagnosis window.

The untrained do not know the extent of interaction of substances and their effect on illness. There is also overdose of vitamins etc.

This is why I believe the pseudo-medical sector is more dangerous than the negative aspects of the Drug Companies.

That said the practice of eating correctly, drinking sufficient water and getting enough sleep etc is important "self treatment".
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by drawkcab View Post
    Soy Milk!!! Except for the fact that a good share of soy beans are genetically modified these days.
    I use soy milk, but I drink it knowing that I'm probably causing Brazilian deforestation and a hormone imbalance. Really you can't win; there's just too many people in the world.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Handy, we both agree that we could (and should) modify our nutrient intake, exercise habits, and all else we have control over, to maximize life span, happiness, and prolong our disease-free years. Not much is known how to prolong life span dramatically yet, but the exponential growth of human genetics field makes me very hopeful. What I disagree with is that, barring accidents, a person can "die healthy": that is an oxymoron. And that is where money are to be made by pharma companies. Even accidents cannot be defined well. Negligibly senescent animals (hence my facetious reference to lobsters) may die of accumulation of small accidents, like parasite load or even accumulation of events on the cellular level, e.g. genetic drift in the mitochondrial pool. These things can potentially be controlled... for example, by drugs.

Beans

...to maximize life span, happiness, and prolong our disease-free years.
    Too bad health, happiness and a benevolent big pharma industry does not fit well with the business plan.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I have no illusions about what businesses are about. I don't subscribe however to the conspiracy viewpoint that pharma companies are purposely trying to keep us all sick.

As to "the pill" -- a pill is just a shape.

Shove an organic blueberry into a gelcap and there you have a pill!
    Last edited by DZ*; September 12th, 2011 at 07:09 PM. Reason: remove reference to a deleted post

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Lucradia View Post
    Usually very expensive in comparison to regular milk, and often not refridgerated.
    Not true where I live! This must be the result of the Wisconsin dairy mafia and its subsidies.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345