Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Skim milk might be unhealthy

Beans

Re: Skim milk might be unhealthy

I wasn't writing a thesis on the subject.
    maybe you should or start a thread on the subject.
    what about the good fats like DHA i get mine fish free

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlinzzz View Post
    maybe you should or start a thread on the subject.
    what about the good fats like DHA i get mine fish free
    Me too, I'm a vegan.

Beans

Don't want to high jack thread so milk does the body good ,except skim milk!

Beans

I have been thinking along the same lines as Handy for many years now, as it relates to the healthcare industry. It has taken on a life of it's own, literally at the expense of people's lives. Unwittingly or not, I will call them evil, simply for their willfully ignorant behavior.

How else can you characterize an entire sector of the economy and insurance industry when their business model threatens the viability of the economy itself along with lives at risk?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Whole milk, 3% fat.

That's what I drink.

I don't care what people say... ( hehehehe...)

The 0% fat milk has a blueish color. I cannot drink that... besides that it is tasteless.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post

Like I said, people should do their own research. Though unfortunately most don't bother, & their medical practitioners rarely have any valuable training in nutrition. Though that is ever so slowly starting to change for the better here & there.

The hold that the big pharmaceutical companies have on the medical profession is most unfortunate. Due to big pharma' medicine is about profiting from disease, not preventing it.

Some facts using statistics from the U.S. follow:

Medical schools receive large financial grants from the pharmaceutical industry.

Over the past 50 years the medical industry has spent enormous resources and utilized the combined intellect of thousands of medical researchers trying to solve the great problem of heart disease. Yet, despite this enormous undertaking, Cardiovascular Disease (CVD) remains the top killer in the USA.

$326,000,000,000 (yes, that’s billion!) is spent annually on treating heart disease (that’s $652,000 every minute) [American Heart Association]

30,000,000,000 is spent annually on Coronary Bypass Operations.

Survivors of Heart Attacks and Strokes frequently become disabled and eventually end up in Nursing Homes. $120,000,000,000 is spent annually on skilled nursing care.

It is estimated the cost of treating all current heart patients in the USA with the Pauling Therapy at about $120 million annually (that’s less than 1/2 of 1% of 326 billion!)

If someone were to discover a simple and inexpensive preventative and cure for cardiovascular disease, it would threaten the livelihoods of every employee of a pharmaceutical company, every investor in a pharmaceutical company, every hospital employee, every cardiologist, every employee of a cardiologist, every heart surgeon, everyone who assists in heart surgery from the nurses to the anesthesiologist to the person who sweeps the operating room floor. A simple and inexpensive preventative and cure for heart disease would cause such disruption to this “industry” that it would not be able to survive in anything like its present form.

Hospitals, cardiologists and drug companies can not make a penny off of healthy people.

Hospital administrators, cardiologists, and the CEOs of pharmaceutical companies know that they can not make a penny off of healthy people. Let me be clear, I do not believe that there is some kind of grand conspiracy going on or that everyone who works in the heart disease industry is evil. Most people working in this industry are good people who are simply ignorant. There are some, however, who know better (or who should know better). But I do not consider even these people to be evil. If I had spent tons of money and 16 years of my life leaning how to do coronary artery bypass surgery, I too would want to reap a good return on the investment of my time, money, and effort. I might not be very eager to learn about something that would make my knowledge and skills obsolete.

Part of the problem may be the scientific method itself. Science writer Lynne McTaggart made the following observation in her book, The Field:

“To be a revolutionary in science today is to flirt with professional suicide. Much as the field purports to encourage experimental freedom, the entire structure of science, with its competitive grant system, coupled with the publishing and peer review system, largely depends upon individuals conforming to the accepted scientific world view. The system tends to encourage professionals to carry out experimentation whose purpose is primarily to confirm the existing view of things, or to further develop technology for industry, rather than to serve up true innovation.” [HarperCollins Publishers, Inc., New York, NY, 2002, p 13 (hardcover)]
    Self diagnosis and treatment is as dangerous or if not more dangerous than no Professional diagnosis/treatment.

I hear a lot the "big bad drug companies". Medical treatment research, development and testing costs huge amounts of money. Those companies have a right to recoup costs and make a profit to continue their vital work . Without the efforts of Drug companies, medical appliance companies and a very long lists of medical professionals I would still be in an Electric Wheelchair or worse dead.
    This account is not active.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiNZ View Post
    Medical treatment research, development and testing costs huge amounts of money.
    Which doesn't make the source of their ill-gotten profits any less despicable.

It's a self-serving business, self-fulfilling prophecy. There's a pill or appliance for every ill, but little in the way of prevention. Treat the symptoms, not the root cause.
    Last edited by NadirPoint; September 11th, 2011 at 09:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Now I know it isn't my body that is immortal...
    Actually it is. Just not in its current configuration. All your atoms are billions of years old.

Sadly this information, while factually correct, is not the slightest bit of use to anyone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Which doesn't make the source of their ill-gotten profits any less despicable. It's a self-serving business, self-fulfilling prophecy. There's a pill or appliance for every ill, but little in the way of prevention. Treat the symptoms, not the root cause.
    They would treat the cause just as self-servingly, if they could. Discovering good new drugs have not been easy.

In 2008 GSK bought a company for $270M that had been developing disease preventive and anti-ageing compounds (longer-lived analogues of resveratrol in red wine). They had to stop the trials because of the side effects.

Or, one can take the conspiracy route and proclaim that was the price to kill the threat.

Hospitals, cardiologists and drug companies can not make a penny off of healthy people.
    It's presumptuous to think companies somehow benefit from a lack of pill that would cure heart disease. A drug company that could discover such a drug would make every effort to get it on the market. A blockbuster drug is a rarity but ultimately that is what makes pharma companies rich. Further, there is no such thing as "to die of old age". Unless there is a pill that would make people immortal, something else is going to break eventually and the pathological process that leads to that is something companies would be making new money from.

It's just wishful thinking that curing common diseases will make people "healthy" and that we would then go off like a light bulb, with no apparent cause (and an associated degenerative process starting long before the lights go off).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DZ* View Post
    A drug company that could discover such a drug would make every effort to get it on the market.
    This is the fundamental problem with the whole healthcare paradigm today - a pill (drug) for everything.

You don't need nearly so much drugs if you are not sick in the first place. But where's the profit in that?

I can imagine a world where fast food and big drug companies do not exist anywhere near like we know them today. It's a better place.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast