Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Intel GMA 4500MHD driver on Ubuntu 11.04

Beans

Intel GMA 4500MHD driver on Ubuntu 11.04

Hello,

I've got Acer Aspire 1410 and Ubuntu 11.04 The graphics adaptor is Intel GMA 4500MHD and the graphics seem to be running smoother on Windows. Where can I find a new updated driver that would fix this?

Thanks in advance,
    Yoav

Beans

Re: Intel GMA 4500MHD driver on Ubuntu 11.04

Anybody have an answer for this guy? I'm trying to squeeze some performance out of this GMA 4500MHD with a Pentium Core 2 Solo 1.4Ghz. I can get Nexuiz to the lowest possible settings to be barely playable at 25-30fps. Was hoping I might be able to get into the 40'-50's. Possible?

BTW - I have an Aspire 1410 as well, with the 32-bit Natty.

Beans

The bleeding edge drivers are generally buggy, and with little or no performance increase. If you're running games and want the same framerates you're getting in Windows, just turn off all of the desktop effects and you should see that happen.

FWIW, I'm running an Intel 4500 MHD on my laptop.

Beans

I have a laptop that uses the GMA 4500MHD, and I can't even get Ubuntu 11.04 to display any video in text mode. I can work with it through SSH, but I'd like to be able to log on locally.

Is there an easy way to add basic video? I don't need X, or only in basic mode (1024x768).

Thank you.

Beans

There are some fixes in this thread:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1741556&page=4

Also, you can use an external monitor.

Or you can log into failsafe mode and choose "basic graphics" (this will give you basic blurry, stretched 1024 x 768 resolution) though I'm not positive you can do this in 11.04, but I know you can do it in 11.10.

HTH.

Beans

Thanks for the tip. I'm not sure I have a "backlight problem", since my screen is just totally dark with just the cursor blinking at 0,0.

Running "apt-get update; apt-get upgrade" and rebooting didn't help.

I'll just stick to Ubuntu 10.x and see if they solve this in a later release.

Thank you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by littlebigman View Post
    I'll just stick to Ubuntu 10.x and see if they solve this in a later release.
    that doesn't make sense. Since newer opensource drivers and resolved bugs will be found in 11.10 (as part of new kernel used in that edition) and Intel uses opensoruce drivers.

additionally the very new and even experimental drivers can be installed via PPA if necessary. make sure you read their release notes though.

additonally you could try a different desktop environment (XFCE, LXDE?!) with less 3D acceleration.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

The only way I can see this making sense is if he has a failed installation. Does the live CD work for you?

Have you tried reinstalling using some of the boot parameters such as "ACPI=off"?

Beans

Anyone can help on installing drivers??

I mean directions for very very beginners.

There is a bunch of different packages and files at intel webpage but is very messy and impossible to know what to install and how...

thanks

Beans
    Hidden!

The latest driver is here:

http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sear...%22GMA+4500%22

(select Linux system)

But the drawback is you have to compile it yourself

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast