Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Monthly Ubuntu Releases Proposed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Monthly Ubuntu Releases Proposed

Quote Originally Posted by polardude1983 View Post
    In the article is says that codenames would be dropped.
    they would not be really necessary, but that doesnt mean that you cant take a snapshot every X months and give it a codename, number or something
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Personally I like a 6 month release cycle, but i can see sense in a monthly release. What I think should happen is a compromise between the current plan and the proposed plan. have a "minor" release every month with and a "major" release every 6 months (standard and LTS releases every 6 months and 2 years respectfully)
    The current proposed plan wouldn't work well (IMO) for companies like System76 (who use that time to test the next release on there hardware) The minor release would either have no name or a package name and the major release would continue with naming
    so like 11.11 might be Oneiric Ocelot - Cub, 11.12 would be OO - Chaser, etc etc, and then 12.04 would be the Major release and called P.P and the cycle continues.
    Thats my 2 cents
    Dm
    I tell them how great Ubuntu is. I tell them its fast, virus free and it cost nothing to install or upgrade, and yet all they care about is "Can I play World of Warcraft on it?"

Beans

I like the Arch rolling release system. Some hate it, that's why all OSs don't use it.

I personally don't care what upgrade system Ubuntu uses, though I do think that Canonical need to find a way to handle projects that aren't ready in the roughly 13 weeks of dev' time between Ubuntu releases.

The dumping of unfinished projects in Ubuntu releases is costly as users go elsewhere & it is giving Ubuntu a bad name.

Canonical need to come up with another system for offering incentives to the dev's who need to spend longer than 13 weeks on a project to make it ready for general consumption.

Most Ubuntu users don't appreciate that between the LTS releases there is testing going on. This effects some users more than others. & I know, LTS aren't without troubles on their release though they are usually tidied up fairly quickly. Though regressions keep on happening.

This 10.10 UDS keynote by Mark Shuttleworth, puts the development of Unity in perspective. I'm not adding it here to bring up any discussion on Unity, please take it elsewhere. It is to show what the plan is, & it shows how the Ubuntu releases between LTS are for testing & that as far as Canonical's plans for Ubuntu go, Ubuntu is still in its very early stages of development:

http://www.archive.org/details/Mark_...veloper_Summit
    Last edited by handy; September 12th, 2011 at 03:22 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I do not think a fresh install would be needed. With less huge changes the upgrade process would probably go much smoother. Sure this gives you features faster (when they are ready within the month). It might be a better cycle for Ubuntu's modern system.

However as you said I still prefer a machine that I know will work and have a consistent set of software for at least 3 years.
    Even with the upgrade, stability and bugs free is till a concern. I don't mind upgrading certain software to the latest version which I mostly use. But I am not so sure about the OS. I still think it is a bad idea.

Beans

An upgrade is not as much of a big deal as it is made out to be. Sure it is a lot of software and a lot can potentially go wrong, but packages from Debian are designed to upgrade smoothly and retain configuration files. I always have had success in Ubuntu/Debian upgrades.

Obviously problems do exist for folks though, but I know how to 'pre-upgrade' my system, cleaning potentially conflicting junk beforehand. Also I always upgrade running from a single user mode console, so no services are running to conflict with the upgrade.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Rolling + LTS is a good idea imo. Canonical should only support LTS, and all the rolling releases could become community supported only.

ISOs for LTS only, those who want to enter rolling, should do so starting from an LTS installation, or perhaps just update the minimal install ISOs between LTS.
    i5-2500, Asus p8p67le, 8g ddr3, gtx460. Eeepc 701 4g surf.

vm.swappiness=0;noatime,data=writeback;deadline scheduler;preload.

Beans

Well, I think a monthly release schedule would make providing support on this forum a bit harder. I also think the more interesting part of his blog post are the insights in to how bonuses and pay are tied to getting features in before the freeze. I think changing that policy would result in a system that is, overall, better for 'human beings' to use.

Also, a pedant moment.... Debian unstable is always called 'sid' -- the release will be called wheezy.
    Not the cupcakes!
    Trust me.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Khakilang View Post
    Even every six month release give me headache. Why not Ubuntu just concentrate on LTS instead? That way the OS is much stable and bugs free.
    They could drop the 6 month release cycle, and switch to a yearly cycle, where each release would have LTS-level support. Then the releases could be encoded with the year of release (Ubuntu 12, Ubuntu 13, etc).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by polardude1983 View Post
    In the article is says that codenames would be dropped.

That was intended to be a joke.
    "Its easy to come up with new ideas, the hard part is letting go of what worked for you two years ago, but will soon be out of date." -Roger von Oech

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Porcini M. View Post
    They could drop the 6 month release cycle, and switch to a yearly cycle, where each release would have LTS-level support. Then the releases could be encoded with the year of release (Ubuntu 12, Ubuntu 13, etc).
    mandriva has yearly releases now, but only every other release will be lts
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast