Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Turn ArchBang into Arch

Beans

Question Turn ArchBang into Arch

Hello, my only internet connection comes via 3g modem, and everytime I try to install Arch, I get to the screen and have no clue from there (no internet). Anyways, So I installed ArchBang. My laptop is up and running it, and I was wondering what do I have to do to this Arch Bang install to turn it into solid Arch. And install xfce or Gnome on top, I really like the arch philosophy and I would love for someone to help me with this. Thanks
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

Re: Turn ArchBang into Arch

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    ...and I was wondering what do I have to do to this Arch Bang install to turn it into solid Arch. And install xfce or Gnome on top, I really like the arch philosophy and I would love for someone to help me with this. Thanks
    Nothing, it's already Arch except someone else decided on the default packages & configs for you. Install whatever you want and reference the Arch wiki where needed.

That said you are kinda missing out on the arch philosophy not doing your own thing.

Beans

I sort of agree with MIPS, especially in that "someone else" deciding on the default packages and configs is not the Arch Way.

If you really want to go the Arch Way, I'd suggest you look at your /etc/rc.conf file and see what (if any) modules are being loaded on boot. make a note of the networking section. What values did Archbang use?

Refer to the Arch wiki page on the rc.conf file and the Beginner's Guide on the networking section. It might not hurt to take a look at your /etc/resolv.conf file and see what values got put there too.

Armed with the proper module for your modem, and a set of networking values you know work, you could then do another Arch install and see if you can get your laptop to connect to the internet.

Good luck!
    If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.

Beans

Thanks
    Steam: ubuntugamer( Add me ) | Gaming: Left 4 Dead 2, Metro Last Light, Assassin's Creed 4, Forced

Beans

The package manager is pacman ( and another is yaourt - )

We will start with pacman - as yaourt was not installed in archbang straight off when I was trying it out .....
    ( let us know what it returns ...... we will try to help if possible )
    this should upgrade it below .....

pacman -Syu

This got it upto the latest kernel and then after that I added desktops and the Nvidia graphics driver for
    my machine .......

As said Arch is more to do with learning the system from the base up ..

Archbang gives you a quick leg up though to get a running system ....

Last edited by 23dornot23d; September 9th, 2011 at 08:43 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    That said you are kinda missing out on the arch philosophy not doing your own thing.
    Who cares... saves a lot of time and you end up with a similar result (especially if you like Openbox). You can still do your "own thing" from there... it's not like you are left with a 20 gig install of **** you don't need.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post

As said Arch is more to do with learning the system from the base up ..
    Which stands you in good stead when you have to solve a problem because Arch IS different.

Quote Originally Posted by 23dornot23d View Post
    Archbang gives you a quick leg up though to get a running system ....
    Which many already proficient Arch users may find very helpful if for some reason they happen to be doing multiple installations.

The average Arch user installs once, tweaks their install as they see fit & just keeps on upgrading (often daily) for the following years until their HDD fails.

To the OP, down the bottom of the following linked to page are some how-to's starting with [Arch] they (some more than others) are well worth knowing about:

http://spiralinear.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=17

Beans

Attempting a Net install on my laptop at my moms house. Ill let you guys know!

Beans

No joy. Waiting for boot device error

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Dlambert View Post
    No joy. Waiting for boot device error
    Have you had a good look at the Beginners' Guide?
    It may benefit you to identify your system's hardware resources & have a search in the Arch wiki & if you still need to the Arch forums.

It is less of a problem everyday, but still, the major problem that Linux users can strike is having a difficult hardware setup.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast