Thread: suddenly unable to play youtube videos and loading facebook

Beans

suddenly unable to play youtube videos and loading facebook

hi,
    help me .. all of a sudden my browser both firefox6 and google chrome stopped playing youtube video and loading facebook.

for youtube videos --error occured please try again later, and for facebook --connection was reset please try again later.

i have no problem viewing other sites like twitter or google+ .i cleared the cache from the browser menu.. what else should i do

i installed the following software
    chromium -12.0.742.112 (90304) Ubuntu 11.04
    mozilla firefox 6
    flash version 10,3,183,5 installed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: suddenly unable to play youtube videos and loading facebook

Quote Originally Posted by drtejams View Post
    hi,
    help me .. all of a sudden my browser both firefox6 and google chrome stopped playing youtube video and loading facebook.

for youtube videos --error occured please try again later, and for facebook --connection was reset please try again later.

i have no problem viewing other sites like twitter or google+ .i cleared the cache from the browser menu.. what else should i do

i installed the following software
    chromium -12.0.742.112 (90304) Ubuntu 11.04
    mozilla firefox 6
    flash version 10,3,183,5 installed
    Disable all plugins and extensions then try again, if that fails, try removing and reinsalling firefox with the purge option
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove --purge firefox && sudo apt-get install firefox
    Failing that try temoprarily removing the firefox settings directory, I forget its exact name but I think it is ~/.mozilla rename this directory to .mozilla.old and then load firefox.
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans

should i do the same thing with chrome

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by drtejams View Post
    should i do the same thing with chrome
    Not at the moment. Test this with firefox and you will then know whether it is a browser issue or something else.

Bodsda
    computer-howto
    Linux is not windows
    Fluxbox & Flux menu how to
    Programming is an art. Learn it, Live it, Love it!

Beans

same error even after reinstalling firefox

Beans

Did you check the update manager?

My sister's machine lost its ability to use Flash as she turned it off while it was doing a security update in the background. As it was partially done, and no one bothers checking such stuff (hence it was on 'automatic'), it sat there until I took a look.

Even if you did not have an update fail, you might want to remove and re-install the flash player.

Beans

The odd thing is that OP has problems with Fx and Chrome. At least on MS Windows, Chrome comes with its own version of Flash and so a Chrome user has a choice of two Flash plug-ins. If I remember correctly, the modded Flash has a higher run priority (or something like that) over the other plug-in (which is common to Chrome and Fx).

Another possibility could be that it's a shared computer and someone has played a prank?

Edit: Oops .. OP mentioned Chromium, not Chrome. I don't think Chromium comes with the modded Flash.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

A couple of distributions ago the neighbor kid came over and said that she was unable to watch you-tube videos. I didn't know what to say so I went over. I followed the instructions at
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=766683
    and left her happily watching her idol on you-tube. Thinking that link might be dated at this point I've been using the instructions at
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu
    to get my videos running, if necessary. I don't know why yours suddenly stopped when it had been working.
    Give me a stable operating system, and I will make it unstable

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Crawford View Post
    Did you check the update manager?

My sister's machine lost its ability to use Flash as she turned it off while it was doing a security update in the background. As it was partially done, and no one bothers checking such stuff (hence it was on 'automatic'), it sat there until I took a look.

Even if you did not have an update fail, you might want to remove and re-install the flash player.
    I had an issue with no sound on YouTube - re-installing Flash fixed it. Good thing to try..
    Disclaimer: I'm still a bit of a Linux/Ubuntu noob myself!

Beans

thanks for the reply guys.. but my problem is not solved and most of my time i use facebook and youtube .... maybe i should reinstall os or can u give me anyother suggestion
    Last edited by drtejams; September 9th, 2011 at 10:34 AM.