Thread: "Computer Lingo"

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

"Computer Lingo"

Why do people always treat "computer lingo" as a subjective term? It seems to me that to most people "computer lingo" is any computer-related word that they don't know the meaning of. If you talk to most people, they think "Start button" is a normal, non-techy word. But if you start to talk about executables (a fairly simple term), people look at you like you're nuts (which you might be, but that's irrelevant). The only area I really notice this in is computers. Am I just missing something, or have you noticed this too. If not, what other fields are like this?
    Ubuntu user #35115 - Linux user #555707 - My Ubuntu Wik page
    Join the Ubuntu Forums' IRC room (#ubuntuforums on irc.freenode.net)!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: "Computer Lingo"

people like to dismiss things that they don't understand, instead of saying "i don't know what that is, please teach me", they try to put it in a trivial light. mostly due to personal insecurities.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by trollolo View Post
    people like to dismiss things that they don't understand, instead of saying "i don't know what that is, please teach me", they try to put it in a trivial light. mostly due to personal insecurities.
    Which is exactly why I don't use "computer lingo" around people of this type. I don't blame people for not caring, which is why I don't care to talk to these people about technology. There are certainly many subjects I don't care about.
    Mint 17.3 Cinnamon

Beans
    Hidden!

People used to say, "Quit using those $0.50 (fifty-cent)words".
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    what other fields are like this?
    In my experiemce and off the top of my head: the military (and each branch has its own lingo), law enforcement, medical, automotive, and so on. So in other words, any specialized field.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Christ, someone stopped me today, as I attempted to explain a few good ways of getting her files from home around to print on campus, to say that she didn't know what I had meant when I said "hard drive." There's specialized lingo, there's vocabulary for basic survival a step after, and then a bit on down the way and past the fork, there's the general populace.

But then, I have an acquaintance who's nuts about computers and gadgets who repeatedly referred to a file manager as "the explorer" the last time he used a non-Windows system. We're all doomed and there's nothing for it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by dniMretsaM View Post
    If not, what other fields are like this?
    All of them. Jargon is universal. Technical fields are particularly bad (especially the ubiquitous TLA), but look into law, medicine, sports, art, etc you'll find they all have their own particular set of terms that are baffling to outsiders.