Thread: Apache2 redirect when no domain

Beans

Apache2 redirect when no domain

I'm using NameVirtualHost to direct a domain to a folder. But now when you go to just the server IP, you get the domains folder and not the default. My second domain(as a test) goes to its folder correctly. I want it so that if someone is trying to view the servers ip, they will get a folder that is chmod'ed to 700 so that they will get forbidden.

Ubuntu Server 11.10 64Bit
    Latest apache, php5

Beans

Re: Apache2 redirect when no domain

are you looking for changing the default folder?

that is found by default in

/var/www
    SERVER: Azure datacenters, Hyper-V

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

When using NameVirtualHosts Apache will forward non-matching requests to the virtual host that comes first (alpha-numerically).

If you want to force a different default, change the names of you vhost files so your server with 700 as the root comes first.

I think the default is actually 000-default. The leading zeros make it come first for non matching hostnames including ip requests.
    Nothing is ever easy, but if it is difficult you must be doing it wrong.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by DoubleD33D View Post
    I want it so that if someone is trying to view the servers ip, they will get a folder that is chmod'ed to 700 so that they will get forbidden.
    By default they get the "It Works!" page that is packaged as /var/www/index.html since /var/www is the DocumentRoot in the 000-default configuration.

You can't really hide the fact that a web server is listening on port 80 just by returning a Forbidden. The remote client will still know the port is open and a server listening there. Just install nmap and run it against your server to see.