Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Asus U36SD: boot from usb not working

Beans

Re: Asus U36SD: boot from usb not working

Did you happen to plug the Flash Drive into the 3.0 USB?

because 3.0 is the problem, try sticking it to the 2.0 instead

and try follow this steps:

http://blog.sudobits.com/2011/04/23/...rom-usb-or-cd/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BjarteMØstvold View Post
    I have the specific problem mentioned by ThomasArildsen in #7:

I can boot from a USB stick, but after selecting "Try Ubuntu without installing" the U36SD just hangs. The stick, made from ubuntu-11.04-desktop-amd64.iso, works fine on another laptop. In fact, there it boots into a GUI whereas on the U36SD it enters some text UI.

Any ideas how to proceed would be greatly appreciated!

(Message #9 suggests upgrading the BIOS, but I was unsure to what problem that replay was intended. And I'm wary of doing a BIOS upgrade having read stories about how it may brick the laptop...)

Bjarte
    Bjarte,

Your problem (hanging, no GUI) looks like a video card driver problem. Make sure you have the latest driver installed.

Or you can install using the command line then boot to Recovery (this is GUI, "Safe Mode" in Windows) and install the latest drivers from there.

Good luck.

Beans

I have a U36SD as well, and to boot a USB drive I press Esc during the BIOS splash screen, select the USB drive in the list that pops up, then I it boots the Ubuntu installer.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by BjarteMØstvold View Post

I can boot from a USB stick, but after selecting "Try Ubuntu without installing" the U36SD just hangs.
    Turns out the problem was my stupidity: I selected the boot option called (from memory) "UEFI: boot from USB". Instead, I should have selected the option called XXX where XXX is the name with which the USB stick identifieds itself.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12