Thread: dots in username

Beans

dots in username

I am trying to set up a small desktop machine that plays nicely with some Red Hat servers, and would like my username on the local machine to match my username on the servers. My username on these servers is in the format first.last, and neither ubuntu nor debian allow you to create a username with a dot in the graphical interface. I could useradd first.last just fine, but then on reboot the login screen on gdm prevented me from logging in as any of the users.

What is going on here? Can I really not have a dot in my username? Is there a workaround? This seems quite odd. from what I've read, this used to be a problem 10 years ago because useradd did not yet have support, but I haven't seen any posts more recent than 2004 that discuss this issue.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

adduser

First, try submitting a bug report in Launchpad so that the problem can get fixed in future versions.

Second, the work around is to use adduser in the shell to create your user.

Beans

Re: dots in username

Thank you for the reply. Upon your advice, I did submit a bug report (actually updated an existing one). I am guessing it is a policy decision to prevent compatibility issues.

I did use useradd first.last to create a new user. Such a solution prevents the gdm login screen from working on restart, and even deleting the user does not easily unbreak it. So, as long as a graphical interface is desired (specifically gnome2), this workaround does not help.

The problem seems to arise from features in gnome2. Does the same issue arise in other windows managers? If I switched to Xcfe, could I get around this issue?

Thanks

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by floobit View Post
    Thank you for the reply. Upon your advice, I did submit a bug report (actually updated an existing one). I am guessing it is a policy decision to prevent compatibility issues.

I did use useradd first.last to create a new user. Such a solution prevents the gdm login screen from working on restart, and even deleting the user does not easily unbreak it. So, as long as a graphical interface is desired (specifically gnome2), this workaround does not help.

The problem seems to arise from features in gnome2. Does the same issue arise in other windows managers? If I switched to Xcfe, could I get around this issue?

Thanks
    If the problem is with the login (gdm) you would need to change to kdm, xdm, lightgdm, or Slim. I am not sure which of those may or may not work with a long in name with a .

If the problem is with gnome, and not gdm, then changing to xfce, or another window manager may help.

gnome 2 is depreciated, you could also try gnome 3 .
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans

Yes. I was just hoping that this might have been documented somewhere. It has clearly been tested and developers have put specific code in to check for periods in usernames. VMware, for instance, does not let you do this when setting up a new machine on most distros I've attempted. If this code and testing is not publicly documented, I suppose I can do the testing myself and let everyone know.

Gnome3 is not an option for me in this instance because it does not play nicely with the 3D acceleration drivers provided by vmware or virtualbox. If I need to do these tests, though, I would include it, testing on a dedicated box.
    Last edited by floobit; September 2nd, 2011 at 09:00 PM. Reason: forgot to address last point