Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: HP Touchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: HP Touchpad

Quote Originally Posted by earthpigg View Post
    Anyone got one? How is WebOS as a web-browser only device at $100 or so? Any luck putting Android on it?

Apparently, HP is going to do another production run at loss and potentially sell the last of them for $100...
    I'm posting this from a TouchPad. You wanted to know about the web browser and I have to report that it is not a good experience on this tablet. An example is when I visit a forum and like to open several threads that interest me. In webOS, opening a new card will often (or always?) freeze the current card unless I wait for the new card to load. I suppose I can't expect it to act like a desktop browser, where I can load several tabs in the background. But for an OS that touts its multitasking abilities, it's a big disappointment.

But it has a fantastic IPS screen, long battery life, and I absolutely love the cards metaphor. Palm was on to something and I wish HP let them finish the job.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I was able to get a 32 GB one from Best Buy a couple of weeks ago. It's not Android, for sure, but it does its job as a tablet pretty well. Its great for web browsing (with Flash,) to watch YouTube videos (to give to the toddler when he's snacking,) Skype and a few other things. On the downside, there are very few apps for the platform. But for a $150 price tag, I can't complain.
    The DRUNKS - For Your Inner Drunk

Beans

I don't know anything about these devices. At all. But would it not be possible to install a suitable Linux distro onto one and use that instead?
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Sure, if there're ARM ports available. Most probably Debian supports the particular ARM architecture, maybe Ubuntu does so as well.
    Last edited by Oxwivi; September 4th, 2011 at 12:30 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Oxwivi View Post
    Sure, if there're ARM ports available. Most probably Debian supports the particular ARM architecture, maybe Ubuntu does so as well.
    That's excellent. I'd love to see any of Gnome 3, Unity or KDE4 on one. I think any of those would work brilliantly, though I hear the WebOS that HP use is very nice.
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans

I bought one August 4th. I still have it. Despite the lack of apps right now, it'll be worth it when the Android port comes out.

Beans

I am using one. The OS is fine but the browser is really bad. If they could port Chrome/Chromium to it, it will address many of the issues.

I use many of the Google products. They sort of work but not very well. A better browser will solve this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Quote Originally Posted by BigSilly View Post
    I don't know anything about these devices. At all. But would it not be possible to install a suitable Linux distro onto one and use that instead?
    I've read headlines of Ubuntu running on the TouchPad, but I'm sure it would be a pain to use. For example, reading RSS feeds using Liferea in Ubuntu would not be as pleasant as reading RSS feeds using TeaReader in webOS. I'll stick to webOS on my tablet and Ubuntu on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I don't understand why people think that webos on touchpad is just OK... In my opinion it is more polished than android is. After playing around with G1 with CM, then switching to Vibrant with CM7, and finally getting myself good old n900 I got my hands on 32gb touchpad and love it. I looked and played with various Honeycomb tablets and they all seem slugish, cumbersome and unintuitive.

By the way browser is rather featureless but it works faster than androids browser. The android browser renders a lot of pages incorrectly, the one in webos never failed me yet

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I just got a touchpad yesterday (last one in the store!), and overall, I love it. Its a good size, and it fits into an iPad case (which I covered in ubuntu stickers. SUCK IT APPLE!). Performance is decent, though I notice it lags quite a bit, and will hang for a few seconds very often. That said, though, flash support is unparalleled. The best I have ever seen. Yes, the browser is weak, as is the app store, but I think its great regardless.

also, I'm pretty sure I read on HP website that the touchpad has an LED display, but someone here said it has IPS. Which is it?
    "Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." ~Voltaire

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast