Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Accounts <50 posts permissions changes : dealing with spam.

reheat ... at 3 posts in 3.5 years you'll probably accept that you're the extreme outlier!

I think there should be a way of allowing members (with less than 50 posts) to request permissions. Short of posting 47 new posts. But it can't just be a simple request or moderators will be flooded with 'demands'.

Is there a vB addon to moderate profile changes? Members with > 10 posts and > 3 months registered could request profile change permissions but they could be moderated ...

Beans
    Hidden!

@reheat: Whoa there! Your original choice of font size grabs the attention!
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

Personally I support the 50 post requirement for profiles, good work staff/admins. Anything that makes a spammer's life miserable makes me happy .

To those affected, although I am not affected anymore, I do remember the annoyance of the 75 post VM/PM limitation, once I heard it was to counteract spammers I just "bit the bullet" and kept on posting. You will get there soon enough and get your avatars and such back.

This thread is the first I've heard of links being hidden in smilies and dots...now that is getting mighty cunning .

Cheers all, from the spam hating yeti.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by OpenOffice.org View Post
    as soon as I reach 50, does that mean everything will immediately appear?
    also, I tried to join some groups, and I am locked out of group memberships
    Yes. Groups have been spammed. Spam groups have been created. No way for us to find them out unless we examine each and everyone of them. You can PM one person at a time, so no more bulk spam PMs etc.

Quote Originally Posted by hakermania View Post
    I haven't seen any spammer issue, only once or twice, but this is either because of excellent moderators or because they are rare.
    Any way, nice idea
    Quote Originally Posted by Thewhistlingwind View Post
    Maybe you could add an OR clause so that it's 50 posts or one month membership.

That should solve all problems.

It's the former.

Ubuntu forums moderators are some of the best I've seen.

I'd bet 50 of my posts are from reporting spam alone.
    To give a broad picture, we usually move between 40 and 60 pages (20 threads per page) of spam threads per month in our spam forum. Most of the time, we merge all spam threads from one spammer. I know because I'm among the ones cleaning the spam forum from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by reheat View Post
    Average 1 post per year. Cause I've searched and found effective solutions BEFORE, I've created only one thread which was solved in less than 5 posts, due in large part to posting concise details of my:
    1. setup
    2. situation
    3. goal
    AND the prompt and high quality responses of this community. Now I'm restricted from editing my profile, enabling PMs, joining groups, spam is just spam.
    Quote Originally Posted by SecretCode View Post
    reheat ... at 3 posts in 3.5 years you'll probably accept that you're the extreme outlier!

I think there should be a way of allowing members (with less than 50 posts) to request permissions. Short of posting 47 new posts. But it can't just be a simple request or moderators will be flooded with 'demands'.

Is there a vB addon to moderate profile changes? Members with > 10 posts and > 3 months registered could request profile change permissions but they could be moderated ...
    Quote Originally Posted by yetiman64 View Post
    Personally I support the 50 post requirement for profiles, good work staff/admins. Anything that makes a spammer's life miserable makes me happy .

To those affected, although I am not affected anymore, I do remember the annoyance of the 75 post VM/PM limitation, once I heard it was to counteract spammers I just "bit the bullet" and kept on posting. You will get there soon enough and get your avatars and such back.

This thread is the first I've heard of links being hidden in smilies and dots...now that is getting mighty cunning .

Cheers all, from the spam hating yeti.
    I'm afraid that if we offer to manually bump genuine users accounts into the next usergroup (the one giving full permissions), we'll get overloaded. Maybe we can just try and see how it turns out. We can indeed use several conditions, including membership length, on the promotion script rule. If we do, spammers will get in, no matter what, when our vigilance will be lower because there would be few of them. We had spam attacks. It is easy to register accounts and leave them dormant for a year. It is less easy to hunt for 50 posts without being noticed.
    I'll talk with other FC members about allowing manual reviews.

Re: spam in smilies and dots, that was just an example among several tactics. They have much imagination, we are even worse
    I have many times said to Staff that we would most certainly be very good at spamming now if we wanted to ^^
    | My old and mostly abandoned blog |
    Linux user #413984 ; Ubuntu user #178
    J'aime les fraises.
    Nighty night me lovelies!

| Reinstalling Ubuntu ? Please check this bug first ! |
    | Using a ppa ? Please install ppa-purge from universe, you may need it should you want to revert packages back |
    | No support requests / username changes by PM, thanks. |
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by bapoumba View Post
    I have many times said to Staff that we would most certainly be very good at spamming now if we wanted to ^^
    ...too bad the spammers don't have an own forum to strike back
    Best app ever: Easystroke

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by realzippy View Post
    ...too bad the spammers don't have an own forum to strike back
    Based on what I've seen both here and on my own website, they seem to prefer annoying the innocent to chatting amongst themselves. I've had a couple of places set up on Yahoo groups and my own website for a number of years that are designed to annoy the spammers. The spammers are fairly quiet there, but I have noticed efforts to dump rubbish on my wiki and a couple of discussion boards.

These days I tend to block their access to my web site and email server, and otherwise ignore them. Apart from one kind soul who threatened to take me to the Better Business Bureau a month or two back because I sent them a nastygram with some colourful language in it they're usually fairly quiet. I'd like to see them try because (a) I've already forwarded their details to their ISP (b) I have set my website to automatically report them if they decide to come back, and (c) where my server is based is not in the BBB's jurisdiction. I think they've finally got the hint.
    Last edited by lisati; September 5th, 2011 at 12:11 PM.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Hidden!

A brilliant idea, I support this 100%.

Sadly though, the dedicated spammers that get paid to spam will find a way around this.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

No,they won't.When they post 50 nonsense posts,we will get them.
    And if they post 50 good posts,they will stop spamming and dedicate their life to ubuntu
    Best app ever: Easystroke

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by _d_ View Post
    Sadly though, the dedicated spammers that get paid to spam will find a way around this.
    Yes, they can (and will) post spam in threads. Fortunately, we have several hundred monitors (that'd be the other users) who help the staff locate spam.

This same group can tell when a user is bean-hunting by posting lots of "I agree", "worked for me", and "I have the same problem". Not that everyone who has posted these phrases is bean-hunting, but if a pattern develops... Valueless posts can be removed from a thread - also reducing the bean-count.

The restriction will probably not eliminate signature/homepage spam, but it will be far less convenient to set up signature/homepage spam on a new account than it has previously been.
    Last edited by Iowan; September 5th, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have more than 50 beans, but it froze my beans at 45.
    Dell Inspiron 1318 | Intel Processor | Running a much hacked and patched windows vista and windows 7 in VirtualBox and dual-booting into ubuntu with Gnome and KDE installed on it. | Ubuntu wins!

Page 8 of 33 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast