Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer and grub rescue>

Beans

Cool Acer and grub rescue>

So yesterday my Windows 7 installation stopped working properly. (It would hang on the login's "loading" screen indefinitely after selecting a user.) So after trying safe mode, and a couple other things, I picked "Windows 7 recovery environment(loader)" from my GRUB menu, on a guess. Turns out it was Acer's pre-installed "recovery partition," and the only option I had was to reset the whole computer to factory defaults or exit, so I just exited and rebooted.

Now, my computer gets past the BIOS, and goes straight to

error: no such partition.
    grub rescue>

I've fished around a few threads and tutorials, but all of their suggestions result in "Unknown command." Any help for a Linux dabbler?

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Acer and grub rescue>

Is this a WUBI installation of Ubuntu?
    EasyBCD.
    PrintersDatabase
    Boot Info Script: How to
    The post above and the post below suffer from the Rashomon effect!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This happened out of the blue? Please describe any changes you, or the system (eg, Windows Update) made.

What version of Ubuntu have you been running? There are apparently many threads about Acer + intel graphics cards + upgrading to 11.04 on this forum.

Beans

That Acer recovery program, it's hard to tell what it destroyed before you aborted it. From that error, it looks like it re-partitioned your drive and formatted, or at least partially formatted it. If your Windows install was broken, unfortunately the only way to get it back is to run that program, or use recovery dvds that the Acer Erecovery created. Try hitting alt f10 as it boots and see if it launches again.
    if not,hopefully, you burned the DVDs before you installed Ubuntu. If not, you can buy them from Acer. It took about a week when I ordered mine. Companies like Acer should be punished, in my opinion, for not giving us real Windows install disks. If you want Windows back, you're going to have to run that recovery program. It's 4 dvds. You boot from the first and follow the directions. Or you could install straight Ubuntu.

In the future, if you get Windows and Ubuntu dual booting again, install Grub Customizer from the Software Center and edit out that recovery partition option so you don't accidentally hit it again,that way if you ever need to access the recovery partition, you can just reinstall grub from a live Ubuntu cd, then select it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

@Roland07, boot up from an Ubuntu live CD or live USB and choose "try Ubuntu" to get to the desktop. You need to be connected to the internet. Go to this site:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Download and run the boot info script following the instructions there. Post the contents of the RESULTS.txt file between [code] and [/code] tags for readability. This will give us an overview of your system, including what may have happened to your Ubuntu root partition. The "error: no such partition" is probably referring to your Ubuntu partition.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    @Roland07, boot up from an Ubuntu live CD or live USB and choose "try Ubuntu" to get to the desktop. You need to be connected to the internet. Go to this site:

http://bootinfoscript.sourceforge.net/

Download and run the boot info script following the instructions there. Post the contents of the RESULTS.txt file between [code] and [/code] tags for readability. This will give us an overview of your system, including what may have happened to your Ubuntu root partition. The "error: no such partition" is probably referring to your Ubuntu partition.
    Yeah, that'd be helpful, but he's probably halfway through the Acer recovery process. Selecting that in the GRUB menu destroys things pretty fast. That's why I edited it out of mine.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by waynefoutz View Post
    Yeah, that'd be helpful, but he's probably halfway through the Acer recovery process. Selecting that in the GRUB menu destroys things pretty fast. That's why I edited it out of mine.
    Yes, that's why it would be helpful to see the boot script output - to see what the recovery process may have done.

I have an Acer laptop. I did once boot into the recovery partition to see what's what and I'm 99% sure that there was a way of getting out of it before it did anything. Nevertheless, I agree that it looks as though the recovery process may have done something destructive.
    Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 24.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Sorry I've no solutions, but I'm a fellow sufferer. I think earlier I accidentally selected the wrong partition - Windows 7 recovery instead of Windows 7 and now I get the
    error: no such partition
    grub rescue>
    message. So I can't get to any of the partitions. I have an Acer too, as it happens.

Bah!

Help!

I will try to boot from the live USB tomorrow, etc.
    Last edited by Mattheu; September 3rd, 2011 at 04:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

In the meantime, if it's any help, when I type "set", the response is

Code:
    prefix=(hd0,msdos7)/boot/grub
    root=hd0,msdos7
    and typing "ls", gives

Code:
    (hd0) (hd0,msdos6) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0, msdos1)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mattheu View Post
    In the meantime, if it's any help, when I type "set", the response is

Code:
    prefix=(hd0,msdos7)/boot/grub
    root=hd0,msdos7
    and typing "ls", gives

Code:
    (hd0) (hd0,msdos6) (hd0,msdos5) (hd0,msdos3) (hd0,msdos2) (hd0, msdos1)
    It looks as though your root partition was (hd0,7) but it's no longer there. If you post the output of the boot info script that I link to in post #5, we can see the full details.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast