Thread: Closing Laptop Lid, keeping processes going

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Closing Laptop Lid, keeping processes going

So, I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.04 on a System 76 Pangolin Performance laptop. I was wondering if there was any possible way I could configure my laptop so that I can close the lid, but still keep things going. This comes into play when I hook it up to a TV with an HDMI cable. I'd like to be able to close the lid, and just focus on the screen. Any help would be kindly appreciated.
    "Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, and idea's are bulletproof." -- V for Vendetta

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Closing Laptop Lid, keeping processes going

Quote Originally Posted by McTwitch View Post
    So, I'm currently running Ubuntu 11.04 on a System 76 Pangolin Performance laptop. I was wondering if there was any possible way I could configure my laptop so that I can close the lid, but still keep things going. This comes into play when I hook it up to a TV with an HDMI cable. I'd like to be able to close the lid, and just focus on the screen. Any help would be kindly appreciated.
    So what happens when you close the laptop screen?
    It suspends?

If it does, there should be settings in power management (should be power profiles or something), that you can set to "do nothing" when you close the laptop lid.
    Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Look into your Power Management setup. This is usually where this kind of things is defined/configured.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There isn't a "Do nothing" option. All I get are: Blank Screen, Hibernate, Sleep, and Shutdown. Maybe not in that order, though.
    "Beneath this mask, there is more than flesh. Beneath this mask, there is an idea, and idea's are bulletproof." -- V for Vendetta

Beans
    Distro

There isn't a "Do nothing" option. All I get are: Blank Screen, Hibernate, Sleep, and Shutdown. Maybe not in that order, though.
    blank screen should the same as do nothing.

you just want your laptop screen to turn off/blank when closing nothing else.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Quote Originally Posted by madjr View Post
    blank screen should the same as do nothing.

you just want your laptop screen to turn off/blank when closing nothing else.
    yes, this should normally power off the built-in display, but leave the external display output (HDMI or else) active.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ofnuts View Post
    yes, this should normally power off the built-in display, but leave the external display output (HDMI or else) active.
    yes, external stuff usually have their own power buttons.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Great! Thanks to all of you for the help!