Thread: FAT32 partition randomly becomes read-only

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

FAT32 partition randomly becomes read-only

I'm having a maddening problem with a FAT32 partition on my laptop. When I start it up it runs fine at first, then all of a sudden I get messages like this:
    Code:
    rm: cannot remove `anyfile.txt': Read-only file system
    This has never happened before today. The really bizarre thing is that things work fine when the system first starts, and I haven't pinpointed what the trigger is yet.

In case it matters, I'm running 10.10 Meerkat. Here's the line for the filesystem in my fstab:
    Code:
    /dev/sda7       /home/morrisng/shared   vfat    users,rw,dmask=022,fmask=022,uid=morrisng,gid=morrisng  0       0
    It's a FAT32 partition so that I can have a workspace that's accessible from both Ubuntu and Windows 7 (I dual boot). Could this be part of the problem? I really don't know where to look for the error, so any help on things to try or look for is appreciated.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: FAT32 partition randomly becomes read-only

It sounds like a problem with the disk or filesystem to me. Try checking the file system, and the SMART status of the drive.
    AMD A4-3400 w/ Radeon HD 6410D, 8 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1333Mhz, Kubuntu 14.04, SliTaz 4.0, Windows 8.1, Ubuntu 14.04 VM
    " ... Love your neighbor as you love yourself."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the ideas. I did do fsck from a live cd, and that didn't seem to make any changes. I didn't know about the SMART status, though, I'll have to look up more about that.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

from windows run
    chkdsk X: /f
    X= drive letter for file system
    Laptop: ASUS A54C-NB91 (Storage: WD3200BEKT + MKNSSDCR60GB-DX); Desktop: Custom Build - Images included; rPi Server
    Putting your Networked Printer's scanner software to shame PHP Scanner Server
    I frequently edit my post when I have the last post