Thread: encfs issue - missing encrypted folder using cryptkeeper

Beans

Angry encfs issue - missing encrypted folder using cryptkeeper

I am sorry that I am starting a new thread for something that may not be that important to you. I installed cyptkeeper on Ubuntu 11.04 to create an encrypted folder. After figuring out how to get the tray icon there I started moving files to my newly created folder. I have used cryptkeeper before so was confident moving the files. Now the tray icon disappeared have way through moving but it still moved them all. I couldn't unmount the drive so I logged off and back on. Now the empty folder of where the encrypted folder should appear when mounted is just lying there without files. I open cryptkeeper and it doesn't list the encrypted folder I had made and moved my files to. I need to recover those files. It is taking up space but I don't know where. And even if I do it would be encrypted right? So how on earth can I recover those files or mount that encfs drive that went missing. I desperately need those files. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

HELP!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: encfs issue - missing encrypted folder using cryptkeeper

Posted re: on the other thread, but just in case you didn't see it, long and short is I would email someone on the cryptkeeper team and see if they know. If it was writing to the encrypted folder with the key active, not sure what the result of an unexpected shutdown would be there.

Beans

I forgot to mention. I can't find the xml file that was suposed to be created. Also have no clue how cryptkeeper would work. I am a beginner on linux based systems but do have a background in computer science. Sadly exploring the linux world a bit too late. I remember the password so no cracking would be required.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by ousef View Post
    I forgot to mention. I can't find the xml file that was suposed to be created. Also have no clue how cryptkeeper would work. I am a beginner on linux based systems but do have a background in computer science. Sadly exploring the linux world a bit too late. I remember the password so no cracking would be required.
    It probably wasn't created. Would confirm with the cryptkeeper team, but that's probably the case. It's never too late to start exploring, but when moving files, highly recommend copying first, confirm success, then delete the origination file(s). Ubuntu is a good one to start with because it allows operation in a largely functioning environment and enough issues from time to time to get you used to Linux. I highly recommend using the command line to do things whenever possible, especially fixing problems.

Programs in *nix are largely developed first for the command-line and then a GUI is developed to submit flags to the terminal, so it all comes back to the text. Love the text and it will love you back