Thread: touch pad not working

Beans

touch pad not working

i am new to this ubuntu i have installed 10.04lts in laptop. butthe touch pad not workig
    pls help

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: touch pad not working

What model laptop do you have?
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans

Re: touch pad not working

Quote Originally Posted by ivinodbsnl@gmail.com View Post
    i am new to this ubuntu i have installed 10.04lts in laptop. butthe touch pad not workig
    pls help
    I'm also using Ubuntu v10.04 LTS on a laptop. Here's a suggestion you can try: When you turn the machine's power on, press the key that will trigger going into the ROM BIOS setup utility. Most machines will post some info at initial boot, on how to do that; i.e., which key to press. Most often, it's F2, although sometimes it's different.

Once you're in the BIOS setup, look through the various setup options looking for one that controls what's not working. This will probably be an item labelled mouse or touchpad. On my Dell Inspiron, it's listed as touchpad. When I select it, activating that item, I get 3 options for controlling the touchpad. I can either set it as using a serial mouse (no touchpad at all), deactivating the touchpad whenever a PS2 mouse is detected, or always using both. Since I think the touchpad is a substandard method of controlling the pointer, I set it for serial mouse. I'm using a USB mouse, but it works anyway, and the touchpad is entirely deactivated. Perhaps your system has similar options, and it's set for deactivating the touchpad?

Although it's possible the BIOS setting isn't what's wrong, it's also possible that it is. At least, it's something you could try right away. Good luck!
    "That's my motto - a place for everything, and everything all over the place!"
    -- From an old comic I once saw.--