Thread: File not saved before power off

Beans

Exclamation File not saved before power off

Hello,
    I've set up an Ubuntu 10 installation on a desktop to record our church's sermons during our services. I'm relatively new to Ubuntu and Linux in general, so I'm pretty much learning as I go. For the time being I'm recording through the line in on the computer into Sound Recorder. (I'm very familiar with more advanced recording options, but this was a quick and sufficient setup for simply recording a talk.)

This past Sunday, the tech team recorded the sermon, and stopped the recording after it was over. However, the computer operator did not save the file - it was left with Sound Recording running but unsaved. There was a mix-up and power was cut to the computer before it ever was saved. I booted the computer back up to see if there was any kind of recovery, but I was unable to find any options.

I would REALLY like to be able to recover the recording of the sermon, if there's any way to do it? Any help is greatly appreciated!
    Coyle

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: File not saved before power off

If the recordings are not saved there is probably not much to recover since nothing has been stored permanently. You may look through the /tmp folder if there still is something stored, but that folder's content is temporary.

Beans

Yeah, that's pretty much what I figured. I had checked the tmp folder, but being unfamiliar with Linux I didn't really know what I was looking for, there were no audio filetypes though.
    I just wondered based on experience with other recording solutions where data is saved to the HD as you go, and I didn't know if that was the case here or not.
    Thanks for the response!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

On Linux, everything user files would be saved to your /home folder. You can look through it if you find a folder which is named according to your recording software. This would be the place for configuration settings and, maybe, also for the temporarily stored files (but I doubt it). Such folders may be hidden, so use ls -al in a terminal or configure your file browser to also show hidden files.