Thread: Trackpad/Touchpad not responding on my laptop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Unhappy Trackpad/Touchpad not responding on my laptop.

Hi, Im a new Ubuntu user, well new to Unix actually even if usually work with MacOS I had never really looked into it.

I installed Ubuntu on my laptop a few days ago and so far everything was going well, until all of a sudden the trackpad stopped responding. It does not move, nor it detects clicks.

Laptop is an Acer Aspire 5333-2880 running Ubuntu 11.04 64bits

After doing research I first thought the issue would be that my computer was not reading the trackpad, but doing:
    xinput list
    output includes:
    ETPS/2 Elantech Touchpad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]
    I then thought that it might have to do with kde, since some posts mentioned trouble with kde and trackpads, so I deinstalled kde and went back to Gnome, still with no results.

Since I've just started using this computer solely with Ubuntu and had no real data saved yet, I decided to reinstall Ubuntu, so that everything went back to place. I didn't have anything to loose really, anyway.
    Then again, the problem is still there.

If I plug a USB mouse, there is no problem using it. That's how I got around to reinstall Ubuntu and all.

The problem began after I installed pidgin along with a few other packages, like chess, Synaptic and the flash plug in for browsers; after I restarted my computer.
    I really don't know what else to do, I've been browsing through different forums online for hours without finding an answer.

I can't deny I've learned more about using the terminal than I would have by poking it around by myself, but this is getting really irritating and using a mouse really beats the purpose of a laptop (One of them anyway, at least that's the way I see it).

I hope someone can help me here, if you need any information form my hardware or terminal output just say so.

Thanks a lot!

~Ryoku(w45p)

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Trackpad/Touchpad not responding on my laptop.

i do not own one, but got some hits here

http://www.googlubuntu.com/results/?...of=FORID:9#761

Beans

Re: Trackpad/Touchpad not responding on my laptop.

This problem seems to have been around for years without resolution (or it's documentation) and was for a while reported as a bug with numerous suggested work-arounds.

With the Acer Aspire One, Alt+Fn+F7 toggles the Trackpad on and off, although it is still detected by the system.

It may be helpful to others to report back if this resolves your problem.

Mike