Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Field
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    I have a Sansa Fuze v2 (Rockboxed) with an additional 16GB micro-SD card.

    Works perfectly.

    Rockbox is not about "shiny graphical interfaces", but I'll take longer battery life, reliability and the ability to play many formats over eye candy any day. Not that the Rockbox interface is ugly, but the glitzy GUI experience wears off after the first day.
    I'm not too stressed over the aesthetics either, as long as it works. Again though; can I remove the games and applications? they are a waste of memory for me.

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Beans
    924
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Llama View Post
    I'm not too stressed over the aesthetics either, as long as it works. Again though; can I remove the games and applications? they are a waste of memory for me.
    What games and applications? You mean in Rockbox?

    I believe the entire Rockbox installation is less than 10MB.

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Field
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    Quote Originally Posted by MartyBuntu View Post
    What games and applications? You mean in Rockbox?

    I believe the entire Rockbox installation is less than 10MB.
    In that case removing them wouldn't be too important, but just out of curiosity, can it be done? Is Rockbox customizable?

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Beans
    13,638
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Llama View Post
    In that case removing them wouldn't be too important, but just out of curiosity, can it be done? Is Rockbox customizable?
    Of course it is, it's open source.

    As for the memory card thing, I have a few 32gig ones I keep diferent music on. Works fine.

    The sansas will play ogg and flac etc without rockboxing them. And it's dual boot so you can boot whatever firmware.

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Field
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    Quote Originally Posted by nothingspecial View Post
    Of course it is, it's open source.

    As for the memory card thing, I have a few 32gig ones I keep diferent music on. Works fine.

    The sansas will play ogg and flac etc without rockboxing them. And it's dual boot so you can boot whatever firmware.
    Wow I really like the idea of having different music on different cards

    Is it possible to have Rockbox running alone on the device? Dual boot sounds complicated for a music device and if Rockbox is all it's cracked up to be, there sholuld be no reason to keep the Sansas OS running on it.

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Beans
    924
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    The Rockbox bootloader boots Rockbox by default, so you need not worry, although you can customise it to your hearts desire.

  7. #17
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Deep South Texas
    Beans
    1,890
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    Over the last year I've picked up eight 4GB Sansa Fuze for gifting.
    I've also picked up two 8GB that I kept for myself.
    They are all running great.
    FM radio function is nice.
    Picture function means you don't need to carry pix in your wallet.
    You can even watch videos on them (decent quality screen)

    MicroSD card slot is great.
    I've used up to 16GB cards, but 4GB are cheap and you can buy a bunch and keep different music on them.
    I also keep Old-Time Radio Shows on them.
    Lone Ranger, Dragnet, **** Tracy, they are great to listen to.

    And of course, Rock-Box'd, and attached to Linux Boxen.
    And my Sister's Apple Box.
    "Free software is a matter of liberty, not price." -- Richard Stallman
    So don't forget to tip your software authors!

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Manchester UK
    Beans
    13,638
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Llama View Post
    Wow I really like the idea of having different music on different cards

    Is it possible to have Rockbox running alone on the device? Dual boot sounds complicated for a music device and if Rockbox is all it's cracked up to be, there sholuld be no reason to keep the Sansas OS running on it.
    It's not complicated, it's how rockbox installs by default

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    A Field
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    Sansa Fuze & Rockbox it is! Thank you all for your replies my mind is pretty much made up based on your answers

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Toronto Canada
    Beans
    924
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: Best media player for Ubuntu, other than iPod?

    If possible, try and get the Fuze v2. It has a much longer runtime.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •