Page 9 of 137 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

This post removed due to author's finally getting things right.

However, when I completed the installation ov VMWare, and entered 'vmware' in the terminal, I got:

vmware: command not found

Any thoughts, anyone?
    Last edited by mervg; June 4th, 2006 at 05:07 PM.

Beans

Thanks for the how to worked a treat loaded winxp will also be trying win 2000
    & win 98se

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Worked great to set up, but I have 3 issues I can't seem to get. My Windows guest will not recognize my USB ports, so no printer, no Ipod, no thumbdrive. and I can't transfer files between Ubuntu and Windows, Copy and Paste doesn't work, and I can't get networking to work. There is no place in VM to set shares, and Connecting to server in ubuntu doesn't show vmware. Leaves me no way to move documents between systems, Strangely I can access my Wifes computer (Ubuntu) and My Youngest son's Computer (PCLinux) and even my Oldest son's computer (WinXP), from guest Win, just can't get to my own. 3rd problem is no sound. I'm going through vmware's docs to see if I can find solutions, I used to have WinXP in vmpayer on Breezy and things worked well so I might try setting that one up later. I see VMplayer in Repo's, so that can be installed through apt-get.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cjm5229
    Worked great to set up, but I have 3 issues I can't seem to get. My Windows guest will not recognize my USB ports, so no printer, no Ipod, no thumbdrive. and I can't transfer files between Ubuntu and Windows, Copy and Paste doesn't work, and I can't get networking to work. There is no place in VM to set shares, and Connecting to server in ubuntu doesn't show vmware. Leaves me no way to move documents between systems, Strangely I can access my Wifes computer (Ubuntu) and My Youngest son's Computer (PCLinux) and even my Oldest son's computer (WinXP), from guest Win, just can't get to my own. 3rd problem is no sound. I'm going through vmware's docs to see if I can find solutions, I used to have WinXP in vmpayer on Breezy and things worked well so I might try setting that one up later. I see VMplayer in Repo's, so that can be installed through apt-get.
    #

What type of ethernet device did you set up? Bridged or vpn? I'm having the same issues. I can access all my network shares on either operating system, except for the shares on the host and vm system.

Also what benefits are there of Player over server?

And does anyone know how to set the resolution to 1920x1200?

Thanks!

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Quote Originally Posted by Whimar
    #

What type of ethernet device did you set up? Bridged or vpn? I'm having the same issues. I can access all my network shares on either operating system, except for the shares on the host and vm system.

Also what benefits are there of Player over server?

And does anyone know how to set the resolution to 1920x1200?

Thanks!
    Bridged.

I don't know if there are any benifits, I haven't used it for quite a while. I do seem to recall it was easy to enable sound, just click a button. and USB support worked. I'm not sure I was able to move files without using my USB Thumb Drive though.

Beans
    Distro
    Gutsy Gibbon Testing

Well, the Player is easy to install, Applications>Add/Remove>VMware Player, check box, click apply, go to www.easyvmx.com, create your vmx file, follow the tutorial, (4 steps,all easy) install Windows and it's up and running. USB ports work , and sound can be enabled with a click. Only have Windows half installed yet so don't know about file sharing, but I can use my thumbdrive to transfer files if necessary.

I now have Player up and running w/ WinXP installed. I looked through my settings and I don't see any screen resolutions for 1920x1200 either. There is a 1920x1440, My guess would be Either Windows doesn't support it, or the Install disks we are using don't support it. I think with player at least, just use one that comes close since it is only using part of the screen anyway.
    Last edited by cjm5229; June 4th, 2006 at 05:45 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.06 Dapper

Anyone able to point me to the solution for this: after the successful (it said) install, when I try to run VMware Server Console, I get "failed to execute child process 'vmware' No such file or directory". I have the files in / in a vmware directory.
    Last edited by mervg; June 4th, 2006 at 07:49 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I had also had the following problem;
    Code:
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/libgcc_s.so.1: version `GCC_3.4' not found (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
    /usr/lib/vmware/bin/vmware: /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)
    and as fire tuxpointed out this fixed it
    Code:
    sudo cp /lib/libgcc_s.so.1 /usr/lib/vmware/lib/libgcc_s.so.1/
    thanks for the how to.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Smile Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Hey guys,

Thanks for all the positive feedback.
    I will look into the problems people are facing in this thread and hope to respond with the solutions I find tomorrow.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Will Windows games work on it? and how much slower will they be?

Page 9 of 137 FirstFirst ... 78910111959109 ... LastLast