Page 61 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Unable to get the access rights of source file "./vmware-vix/bin".

If I remember correctly I had no bin folder in vmware-vix folder so I created one. So in vmware-vix just type mkdir bin. After that I got it to install.

After installing I tried to start vmware from console by typing vmware and got this: vmware: command not found. I also wasn't able to start it through menus and got "failed to execute child process 'vmware' No such file or directory". This I solved by going to the vmware-directory which was specified during install-process and just typed in console ./vmware which got the program running.

I still didn't get it working perfectly because when starting vmware I got something like
    /lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0: no version information available (required by /usr/lib/libcairo.so.2)

This I solved by copying libpng12.so.0 from /usr/lib/libpng12.so.0 to ~/lib/vmware/lib/libpng12.so.0/libpng12.so.0

After those I got it working and it seems stable so far. tried it with xp pro. Hope this helps someone.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by techstop View Post
    please stop cross-posting!

So, if I have vmware on dapper, and dual boot with edgy, can I set up vmware server, then drag my virtual drive to edgy and use it? No links, but physically move the virtual drive's folder and use it? (copy and paste, actually) If so, then which is it? and is this basically what the cross dres- I mean poster was asking?

Beans

Does this work with Edgy?

Or is there any way I can get this working on Edgy?

Beans
    Distro

I intend to give it a shot this evening, I'll let you know

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by __InFeRnO__ View Post
    Does this work with Edgy?

Or is there any way I can get this working on Edgy?
    Working perfectly here! No change to the HOWTO, it's probably even easier as the kernel headers were already installed on my system.

Quote Originally Posted by BLTicklemonster View Post

So, if I have vmware on dapper, and dual boot with edgy, can I set up vmware server, then drag my virtual drive to edgy and use it? No links, but physically move the virtual drive's folder and use it? (copy and paste, actually) If so, then which is it? and is this basically what the cross dres- I mean poster was asking?
    Cross-posting is posting the same question in multiple threads, which is what this person has done;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=599

As to your question, yes, virtual hard drives are portable. You can move them and open them wherever you like. I created a WinXP guest OS in dapper, copied it to an SMB shared folder and then copied to a USB external hard drive. I take the external HDD to uni, and I get to run my own Windows installation at uni instead of their stupid SOE. I clean installed edgy, reinstalled Vmware server according to this HOWTO, copied the WinXP guest OS folder back from the SMB share, and it works perfectly. When you move the guest OS around, sometimes Vmware (server or player) prompts you to create a new identifer, but that's all there is to it.

Beans

Thanks a 10000*n-times for this HowTo!! I tried to get the win progs to work with wine, but win just can't compare to VMware!!! Install's without a problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

May have been said somewhere else along this thread but I find it much better to enable remote desktop in XP in VMware then just run tsclient to remote desktop to it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by darrenm View Post
    May have been said somewhere else along this thread but I find it much better to enable remote desktop in XP in VMware then just run tsclient to remote desktop to it.
    Yes, it has been mentioned, by you in fact. However, when asked by someone how to do it, you weren't forthcoming with the information;

http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=577
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=580

So, you would you like to share the knowledge?

And, what is the benefit of remote desktop when the guest os is already running in vmware anyway? Does it just let you access the windows os from multiple machines?

EDIT: The remote desktop in XP is fine, I'm interested in the SSH stuff.

Beans
    Distro

Installed easily enough, and I just opened xp from my dapper drive instead of copy and pasting. (because I don't have permission, of course, duh)

Beans

Just installed it on a fresh copy of edgy.The how to works great.My only problem is i can't connect to the internet.My edgy box is directly plugged into the cable modem which gets an ip addy. I guess i'll have to play with the vm settings

Page 61 of 137 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111 ... LastLast