Page 14 of 137 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

I am not quite sure about Linux, but I just _successfully_ booted running Windows XP in vmware (I mean while running one OS I booted from physical disk partition the _same_ OS+version+apps+everything in vmware).

To do so, while selecting the disc you want to use, do not select “Create new virtual disk” or “Use an existing disk”, but select “Use a physical disk”.

Select the drive you want, preferably the whole partition. I have Grub, therefore it is not possible for me to tell whether the original Microsoft installer would boot.

No excuses for not using Linux now, because this should remove the installation hassle.

Beans

Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

Quote Originally Posted by Kure
    I am not quite sure about Linux, but I just _successfully_ booted running Windows XP in vmware (I mean while running one OS I booted from physical disk partition the _same_ OS+version+apps+everything in vmware).

To do so, while selecting the disc you want to use, do not select “Create new virtual disk” or “Use an existing disk”, but select “Use a physical disk”.

Select the drive you want, preferably the whole partition. I have Grub, therefore it is not possible for me to tell whether the original Microsoft installer would boot.

No excuses for not using Linux now, because this should remove the installation hassle.
    In short, this means i could boot from my existing C: drive on the partition that windows is installed?Thus keeping my data in tact and not have to start on a fresh VMWare OS installation
    If this is for real Im Done!..No more windows ever....
    Which VMWare product did you use.
    It's either real or it's a dream There's nothing that is in between

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Sq322
    In short, this means i could boot from my existing C: drive on the partition that windows is installed?Thus keeping my data in tact and not have to start on a fresh VMWare OS installation
    If this is for real Im Done!..No more windows ever....
    Which VMWare product did you use.
    I had Vmware workstation demo under my XP, right now I am installing Vmware server in Ubuntu... should be done in less than 30 minutes (if something like gcc versions doesn't screw up).

And yes, this means you should be able to run your "old version" with all apps. However, I am still not sure what bootloader you need to do so - I have Grub on MBR.

Beans

OK, it BOOTS CORRECTLY.

I am using

• Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS

• 2.6.15-23-k7 kernel

• gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)

• vmware server 1.0.0 build-24927

• Grub in MBR

• Windows XP

... and it works - I haven't tested any real applications yet nor know I how it would affect the Windows installation - at least it may ruin it and you may not be able to boot back to bare windows again because of huge amounts of generic drivers installed by vmware.

Beans

VMware tools installation works.

Sometimes while one OS uses the harddisk on "low level" e.g. Windows installing drivers to IDE can block the second OS from working (Aptitute).
    Last edited by Kure; June 9th, 2006 at 09:44 PM.

Beans

... even sound + video playback works
    Last edited by Kure; June 9th, 2006 at 10:06 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

How do I add guest mode to etc/X11/XF86Config
    If not xorg.conf for ubuntu am i right.
    What do you need to put in the section screen /subsection display

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Kure
    OK, it BOOTS CORRECTLY.

I am using

• Ubuntu Dapper Drake 6.06 LTS
    • 2.6.15-23-k7 kernel
    • gcc version 4.0.3 (Ubuntu 4.0.3-1ubuntu5)
    • vmware server 1.0.0 build-24927
    • Grub in MBR
    • Windows XP

... and it works - I haven't tested any real applications yet nor know I how it would affect the Windows installation - at least it may ruin it and you may not be able to boot back to bare windows again because of huge amounts of generic drivers installed by vmware.
    I tried vmware to boot native WinXp on /dev/hda1. It picks up the GRUB menu, and I can choose WInXP, but the boot process halts unexpectedly. I tried twice, then gave up (lest I get my system hosed)..Th e goo d thing is that I can boot safely into my WINXP.

I also tried a WINXP i had on a previous laptop hdd (that is now sitting in a USB casing). It does not recognize the /dev/sda for some reason.

But I by mistake had a USB memory stick in one of the USB port, and vmware picked tha up thinkling that there was an OS to boot. but obviously did not as this is a data USB stick.

Interesting
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans

Exclamation Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

i've been looking for the previous posts who experience the same problem with mine...

A previous installation of VMware software has been detected.

Failure

Execution aborted.

but i don't see any answer how to fix it.

initially, i installed vmware-player from synaptic until i found this forum. i removed vmware-player again from synaptic (complete removal) but i'm still getting the same message.

hope you could help me. i don't want to re-install my ubuntu because of this error message. i want my ubuntu to be the default OS on my laptop. windows is too bloated.

please help.

Beans

Thumbs down Re: HowTo: Windows (XP) on Ubuntu with VMWare Server

guys,

i was able to install vmware.

i didn't see the previous post... it was just a simple rm -r /etc/vmware that made my day.

enjoy!

Page 14 of 137 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast