Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Hybrid View

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Exclamation Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Here is ZE Rescue Disk that you should keep close to your computer !
    Functionalities:
    - runs automatically Boot-Repair rescue tool at start-up
    - light LXDE environment in order to repair even old PCs with little RAM

Download: official website (md5 is on this page). Then burn it on CD or put it on USB key via Unetbootin.

Use:
    1) Insert the Boot-Repair-Disk and boot the PC
    2) Select "Recommended repair" --> solves the majority of bootsector/GRUB/MBR problems

Official website of Boot-Repair-Disk
    Last edited by YannBuntu; June 5th, 2013 at 11:23 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

well yes, but what does it repair? Grub2, Grub legacy, mbr made by windows or some UEFI things or what is it for exactly?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

it can do all you said, and more

- reinstall and update GRUB (1 and 2)
    - purge GRUB
    - choice to place GRUB in MBR or partition
    - restore generic Windows (XP, Vista, Seven) MBR (other tools I know don't work with Vista/Seven)
    - restore original MBR (required when computer has MBR-tatoo)
    - auto detect separate /boot
    - detect RAID, GPT EFI
    - compatible Debian, Ubuntu and derivatives
    - can be used in live-CD, live-USB and installed session (see https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair )
    - compatible whatever the architectures (32/64bits) of OS detected on the pc
    - automatically solve several GRUB/Wubi bugs
    - generate BootInfoScript report (automatically uses the very last script) in 1 clic
    - repair filesystems (linux AND windows)
    - a nice and intuitive GUI
    - most important of all : automatic selection of best choices to repair the boot in 1 click !

Boot-Repair is free (GNU-GPL), and will soon be included in Debian repositories.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

What exactly is the expected result? I was having boot issues and was stuck at the grub promt and after running this disk I just get a black screen after reboot saying:
    Code:
    No System Disk or
    Disk I/O error
    Press a key to restart

Reboot and Select proper Boot device
    or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key
    I almost had the issue resolved after a day of working on it and now I'm afraid things are worse.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Arrow Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

Hi SES1,
    first check the md5sum of the ISO you downloaded, you can find the md5 by clicking on the (i) icon of this page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/, and the tool to check the md5 here.
    If it is correct, please burn the CD with a slow speed.
    Then boot on the CD, you should see this screen appear:

Then choose 32 or 64bits, according to your PC architecture. This will run Boot-repair automatically. No change will be made on your PC boot until you click the "Apply" button.
    Then select the "First repair", or go to "Advanced options" for customized repair. If any doubt, select the "Create BootInfo" and indicate us the URL so that we can advise you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Thanks for your response. I ran the boot info script and this results are posted in this other thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1832261. From what I can tell now, it is a software issue not seeing the partitions on my disk rather than strictly a grub issue as I thought before. Beyond that, I don't really know what's going on.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Question Re: Boot-Repair-Disk : THE 'must-have' rescue CD !

I downloaded the iso and copied it to a memory stick. My laptop didn't automatically boot from it. Your link to a tool to check the md5sum didn't help me very much. A Windows 8 upgrade has put my GRUB out of use and I can't run any linux software until I've persuaded Boot Repair to run. It would be wonderful, if I could put my memory stick in a USB slot, start up my laptop and, instantly see Boot Repair pop up.

(I don't think I have a BIOS because the computer support man who I paid to create my dual boot system said I had UEFI but he found something called Legacy and, I think I saw somewhere on the Internet that UEFI replaces BIOS. My user manual said that my BIOS would appear if I pressed F2 during start up. I tried that and a DOSy box asked me to enter my password. The manual didn't tell me what my password was. @_@ )

Quote Originally Posted by YannBuntu View Post
    Hi SES1,
    first check the md5sum of the ISO you downloaded, you can find the md5 by clicking on the (i) icon of this page: https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/, and the tool to check the md5 here.
    If it is correct, please burn the CD with a slow speed..

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

************* NEW: Boot-Repair-Disk-64bit *******************
    ******* https://sourceforge.net/projects/boot-repair-cd/files/ ****

compatible with UEFI / SecureBoot / LVM /RAID .... like Linux-Secure-Remix, but lighter

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@YannBuntu

Hey Man, just gotta say Thank You for this utility!
    Today I just installed 13.04 on a brand new Lenovo H430, Win8 pre-installed, Uefi and upon reboot it would only boot to Win.
    Installed Boot Repair on a live session, I ran the one click repair and Ubuntu booted just fine.
    I didn't have time to check out the Win boot yet, as family member was impatient to get back to using Ubuntu. Ha!
    Tomorrow I will have time to explore further and will report back.

EDIT: First Windows option in grub works fine.

Just gotta say, You Rock Man!!!

Also my after paste URL output Kept saying to report these messages to you, Is this good enough:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5640114/ Or do you want it emailed to you?

The community wiki documentation is excellent and guided me very well, but one thing stands out...
    On a system with uefi win8 pre-installed, that already has an efi partition it needs to be made clear that a new efi
    partition is not necessary and grub should be installed onto the existing efi partition. This did not seem to be stated in any documentation, I found one small reference on Ask Ubuntu. It seemed to be the logical choice to me but might not be to less experienced users, and have seen people creating another efi part. (as per seemingly correct instructions) and getting into trouble.

Thanks Again, and this should be a default utility on the release iso, if not in the release itself.
    Keep up the good work!

aside: Seems that the Lenovo bios/uefi on this system is easily adaptable to booting Linux in secure boot mode.

p.s. oldfred, You Rock Too... I would not have had the confidence to get this done without the documentation you provide daily concerning uefi. Kudos!
    Last edited by arpanaut; May 8th, 2013 at 07:32 PM. Reason: ps
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans

Is there some way to use boot-repair without an internet connection?

I just tried the 'Recommended Repair' and a message pop-up saying if I continued with repair without an internet connection, the system would be un-bootable.

I installed 12.04.2 LTS alongside Windows7 and could but I could not get a network connection during the installation, and the system is booting directly into Windows.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast