Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torrenting stops network activity

Beans

Torrenting stops network activity

For some reason whenever I'm torrenting after a certain amount of time my networking ability just stops. My network traffic shoots down to zero and I can't bring anything like the ability to request a website back until I restart. Any idea whats happening?

Beans

Re: Torrenting stops network activity

speed up downloads transmission. All programs will have their bittorrent communication flows freely in and out to achieve higher download speeds, and it's basically what this guide is about.

Beans

The problem isn't that transmission is making everything slow at all. The problem is that it brings all networking to a halt. Even when it's closed and quit the network doesn't revive until a restart. If that guide does help with this can you tell me where to find one?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by darthpbal View Post
    The problem isn't that transmission is making everything slow at all. The problem is that it brings all networking to a halt. Even when it's closed and quit the network doesn't revive until a restart. If that guide does help with this can you tell me where to find one?
    does the torrent client still work?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kartabosh View Post
    does the torrent client still work?
    What do you mean by "still work?" It starts up and everything and shows that there is a torrent still there, but it's up and down speed are 0B/s. I mean that's all that happens. If you mean something else by your question I'd be happy to elaborate.

Beans

well, long time ago when i would start a torrent client it would take up all my bandwidth
    as you said, everything else related to the internet would stop working
    email client, web browser, radios, everything would stop working but the torrent was still downloading
    that's what i meant

did you have this problem with other distros?

Beans

Nope. I mean my internet connection is pretty fast, and once upon a time I didn't have this problem, I would just experience slight speed reduction. But seriously, what this is doing is killing my network fully but only for my machine. Because when I get on my network with my other laptop after the speed takes its dive bomb, I still have a speedy connection on the other laptop on the same network. I've only used Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04, and I've had this problem on both. But initially I didn't. For a long time I could have a million torrents if i wanted, and all that would happen is speed reduction. But a while ago it just started to act screwy. Even when I installed fresh 11.04, it still had it for some reason.

Beans

did you change any piece of hardware in that time?
    like a new router?
    in my case, it was the bad router that stopped internet activity

Beans

Nope. Nothing has changed. If it was a bad router, why would everything be fixed when my laptop, which is not connected except by wifi, restarts?

Beans

Just happened again. I have system monitor open, and pandora wasn't able to switch a song, so I switched to system monitor and the graph showed aggressive activity all over the place. Then all of a sudden dead drop to zero activity.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast