Thread: Libre Office exits after splash screen

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Libre Office exits after splash screen

Hello Everyone, how are you?

I'm don't use Libre office (or any other office suite) too often, so I don't know exactly when it stopped working, but I do know that it was working before.

The problem, as the title says, is that LibreOffice won't start after the splash screen disappears (the progress bar always remains in 0%), it doesn't give an error, warning, nothing.

I have tried the possible solutions given in this forum and the web, but none seem to work.

I have renamed my ~/.libreoffice folder to something else, and the folder gets created again, but it still won't start.

I have tried running it from the terminal, but it won't throw any errors either.

I ran this code:
    Code:
    strace -f -o outputfile /usr/bin/libreoffice
    and this was the output: http://tinypaste.com/f87b1 which, from what I can tell has something to do with a timeout problem.

I don't know what else to do

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers!

EDIT: This was solved by completely removing all the packages, rebooting and reinstalling, as per 123456789123456789123456's answer.
    Last edited by fsodano; August 23rd, 2011 at 04:23 PM. Reason: The problem was solved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Libre Office exits after splash screen

I've read through the output. seems to be in a loop error, the main thing that cought my attention, is that it is trying to access a file, and keeps returning no file or directory, this appears multiple times, and always the same file trying to be accessed. The only suggestion I can think of, try to go to the synamptic package manager, search for the office program, tell synamptic to completely remove the application, this uninstalls the program, and deletes the install packages, then mark them again for installation, this will cause the system to download the install packages again insuring a fresh copy, and install the program again. See if that resolves the issue. you can also have synamptic check for and repair brocken packages before this, to see if that works for you.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thanks 123456789123456789123456, I completely removed it (I had done it before, but maybe I missed a package), installed it again, and now it's working again.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Hello all,

Shall I use this threat or start my own?
    I have the exact same problem as described by fsodano with one difference:

Code:
    strace -f -o outputfile /usr/bin/libreoffice
    Does not return anything at all.

I removed the ~/.libreoffice but no luck with that either. (I made a backup, yes).
    LibreOffice just remakes a folder with just one file inside a tree of folder about java settings.
    I ran <code>openoffice -norestore</code>
    with no difference.

I am out at sea with very limited Internet connection and removing the package and reinstalling it is not an option as it is I believe 150 Mb?

Another difference from fsodano: I use libreoffice very often and know exactly when that happened: After restoring a backup with srestore.

can any one help?
    Last edited by yoramdavid; December 10th, 2011 at 11:13 PM.
    Yoram David

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 16.04 Xenial Xerus

There was an LibreOffice update, that repaired the installation and it works now.
    Yoram David