Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question for Windows7 users

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Question for Windows7 users

For the "Additional Drivers", in 10.10 and below, it is accessed through System -> Administration -> Hardware Drivers. In 11.04, it is accessed by clicking the power button in the upper right corner of the screen, selecting System Settings, then opening Additional Drivers.

Beans

All i can find is an acceleration card for 3D something called Unity for which (after research) i don't find much use in installing.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If its a graphics driver try installing it and then adjust the monitor's resolution so it is at its max.

Beans

Just what i feared.

This Unity thingy installed a toolbar at the top that has no options to autohide anywhere and same thing for the one on the left for apps. Humongous buttons with no options to reduce or autohide.

All in all, i think graphics aren't that bad.
    They may have improved a bit with this Unity thing but probably the fact that it's Linux and it's different from Windows is okay too.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Take a look as these two links and see if they help you with the Unity launcher.

Beans

@seawolf,

Thanks for your ongoing efforts to help out!

I'm not sure 100% but i do believe that installing Unity did improve the general graphics appearance.

And yes, i don't why i didn't notice this before, but the Unity bar does autohide by default (as mentioned in your links) when an app is open.

What's bothering me now is the new Title bar that came along with Unity. Before i could set it up or down, autohide or not. The options to do this are hard to find.

BTW, with Unity which installed this Title bar, i was able to find CompizManager.

An eternal newbie and nerd to Ubuntu.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I personally don't like Unity and fall back to "Gnome Classic", so I'm sure there is someone around here that could help you out better than I regarding Unity settings! I guess I'm resistant to change? You might want to mark this thread as solved, then start a new thread with your Unity questions so it gets more views.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I think the font dissimilarities you are talking about are same as mine..
    I have a Nvidia geforce 7025 card with a monitor supporting 1366x768 res.
    but in ubuntu, with the installed graphics driver (either way.. manually or by jockey) the highest res I get that gives me a convincing graphics and readable text display is 1280x800
    ..but of course the clarity ain't as much as 1366x768.
    The nearest possible res in nvidia control options is 1360x768 which gets the display out of the screen. Editing xorg.conf (is it depreciated?) didn't work..

and for your natty needs visit this link..

btw, my installation is 10.10

Beans

Thanks guys for your help and tips via different links to keep my interest!

I'm falling back to Classic for now.

BTW, i just read over at www.askubuntu.com (just discovered) that you can't modify that Titlebar. You can fade it out but you can't hide it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Even though it isn't exactly what you want - at least you found a solution that works

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12