Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Windows7 users

Beans

Question for Windows7 users [RESOLVED]

I find when in Windows7 that the graphics and fonts look better.

I've tried to configure Ubuntu to be just as good but can't seem to press on the right buttons.
    Last edited by DaComboMan; August 24th, 2011 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Resolved

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Question for Windows7 users

So... like a higher monitor resolution? You can change your resolution under the "Monitors" preference panel. Or if needed install video drivers under "Additional Drivers" for your device to allow you to change your resolution to the max supported.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

i run both ******* and Ubuntu and to be truthful the only thing that may improve the 'look'
    could be the graphic card you have installed.

i find no difference what so ever and would say that my Ubuntu set up is better.
    More desktop app's and the like.

mess around with you settings in the linux set up you have or try something newer
    yes i'm a nood

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

If you tell us the make and model video card you're using, we can probably tell you if restricted drivers are available for it. If you don't know the make and model, open a terminal and enter "lspic" -- and look for the line containing "VGA". Post that information back here.

But, be forewarned that the open-source drivers have been improving considerably over the years. I recently upgraded my home PC to newer hardware, and was able to switch over from the open-source ATI drivers to the latest restricted AMD drivers -- and have noticed no change at all in the quality of the graphics. This is not so much a criticism of the new drives as it is praise for the quality of the open-source drivers.

Also, you can install the Microsoft fonts -- but that will only make your desktop look more like MS Windows. It won't really change the quality of the graphics.
    Ubuntu 20.04, Mint 19.10; MS Win10 Pro.
    Will not respond to PM requests for support -- use the forums.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by DaComboMan View Post
    I find when in Windows7 that the graphics and fonts look better.

I've tried to configure Ubuntu to be just as good but can't seem to press on the right buttons.
    Windows XP, Windows Vista7, Linux, KDE and Gnome all use different methods for font rendering.

As a result, sometimes it takes a little while to get used to the font rendering on a different system.

It's not "wrong" on any platform, it's just a bit different on each. Windows XP's font rendering used to give me headaches for days until I got used to it. Some Windows people have said the same thing about Ubuntu's. The feeling will pass.

There is a possibility that you're talking about a wrong screen resolution (which is something different altogether, if you're talking about graphics too) so keep in the thread and follow the suggestions given by others.

Good luck!
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

@Mark,

I tried entering lspic but nothing happened...

As far as i can understand:

Video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M
    Monitor is Generic PnP
    Mode is 1366 x 768 with 32 bit color depth.

Font resolution 96dpi
    Refresh rate 60Hz.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

@Mark,

As far as i can understand:

Video card is NVIDIA GeForce GT 130M
    Monitor is Generic PnP
    Mode is 1366 x 768 with 32 bit color depth.

Font resolution 96dpi
    Refresh rate 60Hz.
    Code:
    lspci
    not 'lspic', copy and paste to avoid typing error

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

You should have a bunch of lines of text, one of which will show your graphics card.

Code:
    lspci
    Here is the driver from Nvidia directly. You should have an entry under "Additional Drivers" to allow you to install this graphics card's drivers. I suggest to use this then you don't have to worry about rebuilding it each time the kernel is updated.

Beans

@gandaran,

If you read the original suggestion by Mark,
    you'll notice that i did copy/paste the code.
    There was a discrepancy but that's okay.

Here's what i got:

0:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset Memory Controller Hub (rev 07)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 4 Series Chipset PCI Express Graphics Port (rev 07)
    00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 03)
    00:1a.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #5 (rev 03)
    00:1a.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) HD Audio Controller (rev 03)
    00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 03)
    00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 03)
    00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) PCI Express Port 6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 03)
    00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 03)
    00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB UHCI Controller #6 (rev 03)
    00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller #1 (rev 03)
    00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev 93)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation ICH9M LPC Interface Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation ICH9M/M-E SATA AHCI Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) SMBus Controller (rev 03)
    00:1f.6 Signal processing controller: Intel Corporation 82801I (ICH9 Family) Thermal Subsystem (rev 03)
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce GT 130M] (rev a1)
    02:00.0 Network controller: Ralink corp. RT2860
    05:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 03)

@seawolf,

I couldn't install that driver you so kindly posted about.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation G96 [GeForce GT 130M] (rev a1)
    So it is the correct card where you able to install any drivers through the "Additional Drivers" program?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast