Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mkv to avi ( with subtitles )

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

mkv to avi ( with subtitles )

Hi

I'm struggling to convert mkv to avi, where the subtitles that were on the mkv also appear in the converted avi. I've successfully converted the mkv file into avi with Winff, which worked out perfectly, but I don't get any subtitles. I've tried some other convertes, but none of them showed any subtitles in the finished result...

Does anyone know a solution to this?
    [B][COLOR=purple]"A computer is like air conditioning – it becomes useless when you open Windows"
    - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: mkv to avi ( with subtitles )

Quote Originally Posted by Skopuningurin View Post
    Hi

I'm struggling to convert mkv to avi, where the subtitles that were on the mkv also appear in the converted avi. I've successfully converted the mkv file into avi with Winff, which worked out perfectly, but I don't get any subtitles. I've tried some other convertes, but none of them showed any subtitles in the finished result...

Does anyone know a solution to this?
    Pull the subtitles from a website and drag them into vlc.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

avi is an obsolete container format. A big step backwards from mkv or mpeg4.

I think only hard subtitles work in avi for stand-alone players.
    You can leave subs external as SRT for PC media player.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Well, the fact is that I need the videofile to be playable on a external harddrive, so that I can view the video from my tv, via the external harddrive. My tv does not play mkv.

I've downloaded an srt file to the converted avi, but it's not aligned at all, and yes. I know that I can adjust it in VLC so that the subtitles and the video are alinged. But I do not want to adjust it every single time.

If I could somehow transfer the subtitles from the original mkv track over to the avi or what ever format it could be.
    [B][COLOR=purple]"A computer is like air conditioning – it becomes useless when you open Windows"
    - Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

If your TV is digital tuner dvb-t model it could very likely play mpeg-ts containing mpeg4/10 AVC H264.

Hardsubs in avi ?

DLNA server from PC (Samsung seems the best).

Beans
    Hidden!

avi isnt an encoding format, its a container. if your tv supports mp4, it will be better to demux the mkv and remux the video and audio into an mp4 container. you might even be able to put the subs in there, im not sure. if not, rip them out the mkv and put them into an .srt.

Beans

I wonder whether the windows version alltoavi will run in Wine:

http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/

There is also a Linux version though it has stopped being developed:

http://alltoavi.sourceforge.net/download.php

It is worth a try, perhaps someone will pick it up & run with it code wise if it gets some attention here?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I've done this with mencoder, and just to be certain, I tested it again with an MKV with *SS subtitles. Use the methods detailed here.

You'll need to add an "-sid #" parameter replacing "#" with the ID of the subtitle track you want to embed. If there's only one, it has ID 0. Just to make sure, you can play the file with mplayer from the command line and see what it reports. Use Ctrl-C to quit playback. I'll assume we're using subtitle track zero.

Quick and dirty one-pass method:
    Code:
    mencoder -o output.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc xvid -xvidencopts pass=1 -sid 0 input.mkv
    The two-pass method described in that link will produce better quality and enable you to control the filesize. Notice the trick of using a number like -175000 for the bitrate. That tells mencoder to choose a bitrate that will create a file of 175MB in size.

In my test this worked well for the show itself, but created a mess during the opening and closing songs which had "karaoke" subtitles. During encoding, mencoder complained that some of the "subtitle words" were "too long." It might be that my mencoder is using an out-of-date libass library. I haven't built one from source in a while now. It could also be a problem with differing character sets, or maybe the font I'm using for the embedded subtitles is too big. (You can't preserve *SS stylings, I don't believe.)

Beans

Great reply SeijiSensei.

Have you thought about adding it to the wiki? It would be really nice to be able to point people to your info' on the wiki, which shows how to do it. The OP's question is bound to be an oft asked question for a long time to come.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by handy View Post
    Great reply SeijiSensei.
    Have you thought about adding it to the wiki?
    Thanks!
    What wiki is that?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast